How to sync ONLY a Folder or Tag or Smartgroup from desktop DT to iOS/iPad DT To Go?

I don’t want to sync my whole database on my iPad because it’s too big and too many files. Is there a way to sync ONLY a Folder or Tag or Smartgroup from desktop DT to iOS/iPad DT To Go?

You should check the online help (question mark in the top level DTTG screen) under the sync heading: “Everything or just the Metadata” might be what you’re looking for. Otherwise, there’s no “Sync only certain groups, folders or smart groups” setting.

But you could simulate that by setting up a separate database on your Mac and duplicating all content to it that you want synchronized.

2 Likes

As @chrillek noted, you cannot sync a partial database.
In DEVONthink To Go, you have two options for syncing an entire database: Contents and metadata or Metadata only.

Metadata only (which we call a “shallow Sync”) is only available with an in-app purchase of the Pro Pack (see DEVONthink To Go’s Settings > Manage). You set can Download Files to Always (a full Sync) or On demand (a shallow Sync) for a sync location, an entire database, or individual groups in a database.

Alternately, some people have chosen to create smaller databases, just for syncing.

You need to set the sync location to Download Files: On demand.

In DEVONthink To Go’s Settings > Sync : Locations, press the Edit link and touch the Sync location. You can set the Download Files option to On demand here. You can then change the option at the database level in the Info popup in the bottom Toolbar when you’re in the database.

NOTE: There is a file retention setting to consider too. Check out Settings > Keep All and move the slider up or down as desired.

PS: This is all documented in DEVONthink To Go’s Help.