I do not understand the sync system :-(

Hi. I’m afraid that I do not understand the sync system. I have watched tutorials and looked in manuals. I will be grateful if someone could guide me.

I have two mac computers where I want to have access to the same DEVONthink databases. The database files (.dtbase2-files) are in a Dropbox directory, but I understand that I shouldn’t syncronize the databases through here (open the database on computer A, close the database, Open the database on computer B …). Instead, I should use a Sync Store. That’s fine - through DevonThink --> Preferences --> Sync, I set up a store with my Dropbox account. First question: This sync store - That will be the same for all my Devon-databases form that computer, right? The sync store is app-related, not related to the single database?

Now I have five databases created on the first computer (some of them are created years ago), and two databases created on the second computer. It seems that only one of the new databases synchronizes. The rest of the databases stays local. Second question: How can I change a local database to a database who is syncronized?

And the last question: Should I move my databases to the two computers’ hard drive instead of keeping them in Dropbox? I have almost all my stuff in DB but I get a sort of warning message saying this might not be a good idea.

Please: take your databases out of Dropbox immediately. :open_mouth: As long as they are there you run the risk of partial or complete loss of data.

@korm… I’m new to to DEVONthink, and wondered why you seem so against Dropbox sync; could you explain, please? I set it up on both OSX and iOS, and feel like it’s performed quite well. Is there something I should be careful of or concerned about? Thanks.

Et al…
You should never put your databases in any cloud-synced folder (including the Documents or Desktop folders if you are using the disk management feature in macOS 10.12 Sierra+). ​Never. If you have, you ​must ​relocate them immediately or you could irreparably damage them as the mechanisms aren’t data-safe for files like our databases. The safest location is a folder in your Home Directory, like ​~/Databases​. Quit DEVONthink and move your databases to a new folder in your Home directory.

@mrkt, when you say Dropbox sync, what exactly do you mean? Dropbox is okay for a syncstore, but not for your DT database. With the latter, the dB can become corrupt as the dynamic nature of the file can become twisted as Dropbox or other clouds do their sync at inopportune times.

OK - my databases are now out of Dropbox and Icloud and only available on my main computer.

And - wonder - now it seems to work. The first of my very tiny databases have been syncronized. Not the big ones - that will take some time, I reckon.

Yet another question: I use to add new material to the databases from both computers. Will the syncronization take care of that automatically or should I import the database on the other side each time I have made changes in a database?

BLUEFROG, pvonk - thank you. I was tempted to save my database(s) in Dropbox (I tend to put pretty much everything in there), but won’t on your advice. So, I now have, in Dropbox, a sync folder (DEVONthink Packet Sync) holding one .dtCloud file, which I presume is safe? And the actual database is stored in my local Documents folder…

Sync will take care of that. That’s the point of using it. :wink:

The next maintenance release won’t open databases located in cloud-based folders anymore as too many users seem to ignore the warning. Instead an alert offers the option to relocate the database or to show it in the Finder.

This is okay if you are not using Sierra (or higher’s) disk management. We advocate using a folder in the Home directory, like ~/Databases, as the safest location.