iCloud Sync Issue. Please Help

Hello :wave:,

The issue I am about to query, I have encountered multiple times. I always encounter this issue every single time I restore my device without fail.
I’ve had to restore multiple times due to troubleshooting and upgrading.

After the restore I have to reconnect my Sync location (iCloud). When I toggle on the databases I am presented with this error.

“WARNING This database has not been completely downloaded to this device. Uploading it to a new sync location will cause problems because some items will be missing”

And of course the database doesn’t sync until I agree to proceed which I don’t because I don’t want to lose important data.

What is this error ?
Why am I getting this error?
How do I not get this error ?

This is incredibly frustrating.

Thanks for your help in advance

You are getting the warning because you are using Download Files: On demand and restoring the device, including DEVONthink To Go. Your databases don’t have the contents to upload and the application knows it.

You could delete DTTG, reinstall it, and download the databases again. This would have the benefit of starting from a known baseline.

Since you are connecting to the location that holds the content, you can click proceed, but only due to this circumstance. If you added a Dropbox location, you would get this warning too. In that case, you should only proceed if the initial sync location was still active. Otherwise, there wouldn’t be contents to upload to the new sync location.

You could also not use a shallow sync and set the databases to Download Files: Always, if the space was available on the device.

1 Like

Firstly. I didn’t ask for the definition to the word error.
Im glad that you realized that your responses patronize and tend to frustrate rather than acknowledge, align and assist and removed that comment.
You phrase your responses as if I’m the cause of the issue. “You are getting the warning because you are using”

Actual Issue

Why does using on demand affect the ability for my database to reconnect automatically with its master in iCloud when I toggle it on?

Why do I even get the warning in the first place.
Can’t the application tell that the database that’s in my app is linked to the one in my iCloud and simply connect. Rather then give me a warning that does not apply to me.

This: “WARNING This database has not been completely downloaded to this device. Uploading it to a new sync location will cause problems because some items will be missing”

What new sync location?
Why does the database need to be completely downloaded to the device?

All I am trying to do is reconnect to my sync location.

Put yourself in the mind of your users.

The warning message needs to be amended or should include a link to more information. I know for a fact that I’m not the only person who has been perplexed by this warning.

I have not found any information anywhere specifically stating that this is what one will encounter if using download on demand after a restore.

Conventional iCloud functionality does not require such, (yes I understand that iCloud does not offer on demand download)
For this reason it is easy to understand why myself or anyone would interpret this as something possibly wrong.

However all in all thanks to you I understand that the warning is just that. And one that may or may not apply.

Thank you for your prompt response.

DEVONthink To Go will not automatically reconnect after a restore. This needs to be explictly enabled again.

Restoring DEVONthink To Go does not restore the sync location data, so there is no record of the sync.
Restored databases that are detected as shallowly synced will issue the warning when enabling it for a sync location.

This warning is especially important when adding a new sync location, as the contents aren’t available to upload from the database since they haven’t been downloaded. If the previous sync location isn’t active, the new sync would be ineffective since it could never access or provide the contents.

Why does the database need to be completely downloaded to the device?

It doesn’t. That an option that can be exercised. It’s also an option that would alleviate this warning in the future as the contents would be available in the database.

1 Like

Hi there—sorry, but this is totally over my head.

I’m using iCloud to sync both my main Inbox and one other Database on my Mac with my iPhone.

With the Inbox, sync works perfectly, but with the Database, the little “cloud” symbol is grayed out (as opposed to blue on the Inbox) and when I try to enable the sync under the iCloud location, I get the same error as the original poster: “WARNING This database has not been completely downloaded to this device. Uploading it to a new sync location will cause problems because some items will be missing”

Here’s the thing: the Inbox and Database have the exact same settings, and have both always been set to “Download Files: Always”.

What do I need to do to synchronize the database without getting the warning and/or losing data? I’m happy to reinstall or whatever—but I’m really not that sophisticated and want to be certain I’m not losing anything. There is nothing in the Database on DTTG that is not on the Mac (i.e. I’ve never added or modified anything in the Database on DTTG).

Thanks in advance!

In DEVONthink To Go 2, select Help > Contact Us to start a Support Ticket and we’ll take it from there. Thanks!