iCloud Sync - Question

I noticed in the iCloud section in MacOS System Preferences that DevonThink takes up 10 GB of space. But my 2 databases together have only 6 GB. Why is that and is there something to be done about that? I am on the 50 GB plan and I am concerned about saving cloud space.

Have u indexed any external folder? My basic understanding is that the sync store will bundle the index files/folders for sync.

No, I haven’t.

According to File > Database Properties?

I hadn’t looked at Database Properties, but now that you mentioned it my Mainbase has 3,2 GB and the other one has 2,1 .
According to Finder though, my Mainbase has 4,29 GB and the other one has 2,28 GB which is actually a bit more than 6 GB, but still not 10.

Are you syncing other Macs or mobile devices to this iCloud account?

Yes, an iPad, but only my Mainbase is on the iPad

Me too…

Just noticed my Databases(5) and iCloud storage is taking more than 19GB but Databases>property is less than that. Yes I sync to two mobile devices too.

• iPad i have enabled “download files>always”
  • iPhone “On demand”

Also why does it says “1/2 replicants” in two of them?

44 31 14 57 24

rainerschnelle we are on the same plan, I’m concern too.

Does your iPad (or other devices used with DTTG) do backups to iCloud? Would they include DTTG data in those backups?

Yes both, but recently I deleted the iPad backup from iCloud but nothing changed, in terms of space. Was 19BG before I deleted the iPad backup and the same after.

Deletions do not immediately free up the space. Check back later to see if any change has been made.

It was three days ago :wink:

It did free up my storage so I have more space on iCloud but DTTG is still taking the same amount(nothing changed)

So our concern is why is DevonThink taking that much. Databases>properties, says otherwise

There will not be a 1:1 correlation between the Database Properties and the space used in iCloud. Again DEVONthink does not sync copies of a database, nor does it sync your files. The sync data is raw, chunked data made for more reliable transport.

Also, iOS may be doing something as another opt-out process (which we do not care for. We like opt-in things. Apple seems to disagree nowadays, especially concerning iCloud).

Could DevonThink2 might be adding something on the side too? Because I still have DevonThink2 installed.

Also what’s (2 replicants)? In one of the databases, see screenshot above.

Could DevonThink2 might be adding something on the side too? Because I still have DevonThink2 installed.

If you’re running it and it’s syncing, then yes.

Also what’s (2 replicants)? In one of the databases, see screenshot above.

You have replicants in those databases. Create a smart group with item is replicated to locate them.

1 Like

No, I don’t do backups of my mobile data to iCloud.