I don’t have a Devon program yet. I’m looking at Devon Think.
My problem: the number of documents I have lying around increases exponentially with each new hard drive increase. In the days of 200 MB hard drives, organizing documents was easy. I had a few folders, threw the documents in, and I was done. Now, with hundereds of gigabytes, I’m awash in manuals, articles, receipts, clips, notes, word docs, and spreadsheets! I can’t keep up.
I’m trying to grasp how Devon Think works, and how it might help. I’ve used Filemaker quite a bit, and I’ve used iView Media quite a bit, so I understand the database paradigm. My questions are:
1) Does Devon Think put the whole item into its database, or just a link to the item?
2) If it puts the whole item in its database, please confirm - I can then throw away the original?
3) If I drag an item out of Devon Think, is the new item exactly the same as the item that went in, i.e. with same creation date, file size, owner, etc.?
4) If you put web pages in for later reference, does it put the actual data in, or just reload the page every time you look at your database. I want to create my own archive of important information that can’t be deleted.
5) How do you personally keep organized? Do you create multiple databases? Do you create multiple folders in one database? Do you sort a special way? What tricks do you use?
Please help me with that “aha” moment, to go from a pile of documents to an organization system I can’t believe I ever lived without.
Thanks very much in advance.
P.S. yes, I did try the demo. no, I still don’t understand. it timed out before I got a grasp on things. so, I’m a little slow, so what?