Import Mails - pictures are not saved?

Hi…

i want to move lots of mails to Devonthink…

The import is easy, but when i open an imported mail, there are only placeholders instead of the images. When i click on “Textalternative” the images will be loaded and the mail is shown correctly…

Can i automatically save the mail with images?

EDIT: The option on the mail tab -> “Alle in HTML-Nachrichten benutzen Bilder herunterladen” is checked…

You did save the messages with images. :slight_smile:

DEVONthink cannot include the often proprietary code to display all of the many file formats on Macs. Instead, Apple’s Quick Look is used to provide a display of many documents such as Mail messages. But the Quick Look plugin provided by Apple for Mail messages doesn’t display images or attachments.

To see images and access attachments, click on the “Text Alternative” button in the navigation bar immediately above the pane in which the email message is displayed.

I have my Mail preferences set so that images are not automatically displayed when I open a Mail message. There’s a reason for that, as some spammers use invisible images to confirm a valid email account by tracking the download of the image.

I don’t capture most of my email to DEVONthink. But I do want to be certain that images are included in those that I choose to capture. So in DEVONthink Pro Office Preferences > Email I check the option to download images in HTML messages.

Hi Bill…

thanks for your reply…

is it then possible to make “text alternative” as standard?
i receive a lot of messages about genealogy (with images) and so on,
and clicking every time on the button… hmpf…

Greetz

Agree with Greetz – this behavior is old fashioned and should be reversed. What’s relevant is having good design decisions that give us a usable UI, not the arcanae of Quick Look.

I posted a separate thread here to elicit support for a change.

I would agree with the change as well. Having said that, there is an alternative that may work for some-at least it does for me. Right-clicking on an .eml document gives you the option to convert the document to Rich Text format. The converted document also retains the document URL that was added to the original .eml, so that clicking on the URL will open a new email reply in one’s email client, addressed to the sender of the original email. The only downside that I have found to this workflow is that I lose the ability to limit searches to ‘Kind>Is>Email’.