Import PDF Direct from Web

Holy cow! After all the problems Symantec had trying to fill a niche in the unix underpinnings of OSX, I never thought that it was still selling Mac products.

I used it extensively in pre-X Systems and it was a great tool then. I decided to try it under Jaguar a few years ago and it lasted exactly one hour on my then-new Mac mini. 45 minutes of that hour was spent trying to recover the lost files and generally broken file system. Imagine having to open a Mini and disconnect the hard drive just so the System DVD would be recognized even after zapping PRAM, etc. If I wasn’t somewhat Mac literate, I would have spent days waiting for the local repair shop to fix it. NAV was the only new application I installed on it and it immediately burrowed wormholes.

Now I’m not suggesting that NAV is the guilty culprit on your system because many years and changes to both NAV and OSX have occurred. However, if I were in a trouble-shooting mode, I’d make a backup of my hard drive, uninstall NAV, reboot, try things again. Shouldn’t take more than half an hour.

-Tod

As Christian noted, something (not DEVONthink) is amiss on your computer. Is it the antivirus software? I don’t know, and I’m not going to install the software to test it. Has the Symantec software been kept up to date with the latest version of OS X?

There’s a pretty good summary of antivirus software needs in Windows/Mac environments at http://db.tidbits.com/article/9511.

I removed Symantec. After the restart, opened the Lenovo doc referenced earlier, used the PDF bookmarklet, selected the inbox of one database — same result!

Please notice the sending PID - .com.devon-technologies.thinkpro2

5/5/09 9:18:43 PM [0x0-0x1d01d].com.devon-technologies.thinkpro2[277] failed to find start of cross-reference table.
5/5/09 9:18:43 PM [0x0-0x1d01d].com.devon-technologies.thinkpro2[277] missing or invalid cross-reference trailer.

the only apps running … DTP2pb4, Safari 3.2.1, adium, little snitch
Little Snitch shows DTP communicating successfully with Lenovo.

BTW, Thank you for the reference on AV … btw I have no issues with using cmd+) to copy selected text into DTP2pb4. So, some aspects of direct to DTP work well. Issue is PDF within Safari (or FF) and moving that directly to DTP2pb4.

Using the same Lenovo PDF, I’m seeing the same error messages on my Macbook Pro (10.5.6) in both Firefox 3.0.10 and Safari 3.2.1.

However, the bookmarklets work fine from a regular html page (such as this forum).

For what’s it’s worth, I do not have any anti-virus installed on my system. Also have not had the problem return since I rebooted.

Paul

Well, the problem has returned for me. I have not tried rebooting yet (and I hope that its not the solution…).

Has any progress been made on identifying what is causing this issue? If there is anything I can do to help please let me know.

Thanks.

Paul

Never worked for me and there was a second thread recently started with the same issue. And this after removing the red herring NAV. Sure hope someone decides to take a look at this.