Import Scrivener 3 .scriv file into DT 3.7.2

I’ve been reading the forum posts, but I can’t seem to find a simple answer to the question in my title. I have mostly pdfs and aliases to pdfs in my binder. I’m new to DT. Can anyone help me?

I’m running a MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019), Big Sur v11.5.2

Thanks!

Is your intention for the .scriv file to be stored in Devonthink,
and available for access via the Scrivener application
or
extract the contents from the .scriv file?

In addition to @DTLow’s question, to help you better I’d like to know what you are trying to achieve? What problem are you fixing?

The Scrivener .scriv thing is not a file. It is the name of a MacOS “package” Package (macOS) - Wikipedia. It will actually be hundreds or thousands of files, depending on your Scrivener project.

I use DEVONthink in support of my writing in Scrivener. I can’t think how much is helped by either importing or indexing the files from a Scrivener project. Yes, put the final document from Scivener into DEVONthink, but use Scrivener’s tools for searching/organising/composing.

If you have too many files in the Scrivener Research folder, then it might be a good idea to move them out and into DEVONthink. Put Scrivener and DEVONthink in side-by-side windows to work with both at the same time.

Thanks for the help!

I’ve been using Scrivener solely as a data repository, not for writing. As you know, and now I as well, this is not the best use for Scrivener. Scrivener tech support suggested I use DevonThink for this purpose so I want to do so.

Can I just drag-and-drop pdf files, or aliases to them, from Scrivener into DevonThink?

Is it possible to maintain the keywords I’ve tagged in each document or alias with?

Use Scrivener’s Menu: File/Export to create files on your local desk (perhaps a new temporary folder under Desktop), then in DEVONthink, Menu: File/Import to import the files. Drag and Drop might work, but you have better control over the format of the exported file to suit your preferences. Experiment. I don’t know about keyword tags and aliases, but I suspect not. Experiment there also, but don’t be surprised if it doesn’t work.

As it seems you might be new to DEVONthink, recommend you read the “Taking Control of DEVONthink” e-book available for free from DEVON Technologies. Also speed-read the outstanding DEVONthink Handbook (same content as Help) to a minimum know what’s there for future reference. In particular, now read and understand the “In & Out” Chapter (page 51) as that’s what you are doing now.

Thanks for the help. I actually am downloading the TC file right now!

Get the Handbook now while you are there. Import into DEVONthink, and make it a “Favorite”.

2 Likes

Thanks again. Will do.

Scrivener tech support suggested I use DevonThink for this purpose so I want to do so.

Woot!!
Nice shout out from the Literature and Latte crew. Thanks for sharing it. :slight_smile:

The initial question seems unanswered. Is there a simple way to move FROM. dt3 TO Scrivener. I tried moving pdf from DT to research folder in Scrivener, and a multipage pdf seems to just import the first page of the pdf into scrivener. How to you get documents from DT3 into Scrivener.

Since you seem to be asking for the opposite direction (from DT to Scrivener), it might be better to open a new thread.

Dragging from DEVONthink 3.8.3 to Scrivener 3.2.3 on MacOS 12.4 works fine here. So the way is simple. Neither Scrivener nor DEVONthink will mess with the PDF, so it is a mystery. I suspect that the PDF is flawed or something. Perhaps “print” a new PDF and try with that.

Edit: If for whatever reason drag/drop not working for you (and is a mystery), then export the PDF from DEVONthink to say your ~/Desktop. View the file in Preview to make sure all pages are as you expect. Then drag and drop that confirmed-ok file from ~/Desktop to Scrivener. Or in Scrivener use Menu: File → Import → Files … and pick that file. PDFs should go into the Research folder. Doing this way to help confirm to you if the file is being corrupted by DEVONthink (unlikely) or Scrivener (also unlikely). If the latter is indeed true, then best to go to the Scrivener forum or their support to get help.

1 Like