Import view, email & scanning

Hi,

I’ve struggled for some years with the email import function of DTPO and now DT3, mostly due to performance (and to a certain extent, stability, though that has improved with DT3b4).

When I switch to View -> Import, it renders DT3 unusable for about an hour as it figures out my (rather large) IMAP accounts, one in Outlook and one in Mail. Unfortunately this means that I can’t actually scan something until this process is completed.

I know that a lot of work has gone into the email import, and it is better, but it’s still quite awkward, and the UI decision to combine the email import and scan import into the same view, and then to make the email cause the whole UI to block, makes a common DT use case really hard for me to use.

Is this a known issue? Are there any expected (major) improvements? Am I the only one having this problem.

(Yes, I have the latest Mail plugin, and yes it’s enabled. I also think McAfee antivirus is playing a role, but unfortunately I’m not able to disable this on my primary work machine).

Thanks!

• Eric

Regarding emails, what kind of numbers are you referring ?

The big one has 123k emails…the small one about 6k.

Development will have to weigh in on this, but that’s a very large number of emails.

Also, logs would be helpful. Hold the Option key and choose Help > Report bug to start a support ticket. Before you send it:

When the application is stalled, do a Spotlight search for Activity Monitor . Select our application in the list of processes - it should show “(Not Responding)” and the name in red - and press Command-Option-S to run a sample on it. When the sample window opens, press the Save button and save it to your Desktop. Please attach this text file to your Support Ticket so we can inspect it. Thanks!

Do you actually archive emails from both Apple Mail and Outlook?

Yes, but not by choice. One email client crashed for one mailbox, the other email client crashed for a different mailbox.

While archiving messages to DEVONthink? Did DEVONthink crash too?

It was always DT that crashed. It’s a little better since 3.0 went final, though it still crashes when I try to archive my ginormous email account using Apple Mail. I haven’t tried again recently using Outlook. I’d be happy to run an instrumented build if you’d like more telemetry data – this is a pain point for me.

Is the option to group conversations threads (see Preferences > Email) enabled? Does disabling fix this issue?

when I try to archive my ginormous email account using Apple Mail.

If you are trying to archive the entire mailbox at once, I’d suggest you import individual mailboxes instead.