Import

I am trying to import 5000 notes from Evernote. The normal process is taking more than a day on new MacBook Pro. This is ridiculous. Is the process broken or is there another way?

Could you please launch Apple’s Activity Monitor application (see Applications > Utilities), choose DEVONthink in the list of running processes while importing the notes from Evernote, click the “Sample” button in the toolbar and send the result to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com? Thanks in advance!

Also, consider that it took this person over a week to migrate 10,000 Evernote notes. So depending on your note content, be prepared for a long haul:

I’ve just analyzed the performance and the bottleneck is (as expected :mrgreen: ) Evernote.

Its export is very slow, Evernote uses up to 95% of the CPU time, DEVONthink less than 5%. Even worse is that Evernote leaks lots of memory, meaning that after some time virtual memory makes it slower and slower and the system almost unusable in case of thousands of notes. The next version of DEVONthink will work around this.

In the meantime one workaround is to move the notes into multiple notebooks, to import one notebook after another and to relaunch Evernote after each notebook import.

Everything about this post makes me glad to have moved away from Evernote before I had more than a couple thousand notes in there.