Imported and indexed files in same DB

I’m just getting DevonThink spun up. I have a single-user environment with a NAS (connected by 1G wired ethernet) for storage. My documents are mostly on the NAS in an organized format, but a smattering of documents that probably should be on the NAS are on my local Mac.

My intent is:
(1) Create the database on the NAS. There will be no syncing in this scenario, and I’m the only user.
(2) For files already on the NAS: index them into DT
(3) For files that aren’t: import them into DT.

Are there any good reasons to not store both indexed and imported documents in the same database?

Thanks!

Welcome @peterb12

It is good you’re on gigabit Ethernet or we’d suggest you don’t put the database on the NAS. WiFi is just too inconsistent to make that feasible.

Are there any good reasons to not store both indexed and imported documents in the same database?

Not at all. DEVONthink has long supported a hybrid database of indexed and imported items. However, indexing is discussed in the Help > Documentation > In & Out > Importing & Indexing, especially the Indexing and the file system section. Pay special attention to the Indexing and the filesystem section so you understand how actions in DEVONthink can affect files in the file system.

Cheers!

1 Like