Importing from Devonthink Pro v2

How to import files from v. 2 to v. 3? I just installed 3.x but can’t find any import option. Thanks.

Welcome @peterpica1

That’s because there isn’t. You can’t import databases in the way you’re imagining.

DEVONthink’s database file format remains the same between version 2 and 3. This means you can easily open your existing databases in DEVONthink 3, with no “conversion” or “migration” needed.
However, DEVONthink 3 will not open automatically the databases that were previously open in version 2. To quickly find and open them, do this…

1. Make sure the DEVONthink 2 application isn’t running, or better yet removed from the machine.
  2. In the Finder, do a Spotlight search for kind:database name:dtBase2. This will show existing databases on your machine.
  3. Select Show all in Finder and make sure This Mac is set in the window that opens.
  4. Now, just double-click the databases you want to open.

Regarding uninstalling DEVONthink 2:

If DEVONthink 2 is running…

1. Select Tools > Hide Sorter, if the Sorter is visible.
  2. Quit DEVONthink Pro (Office) 2.

If DEVONthink 2 isn’t running, but the Sorter is still visible, click the Action button (gear icon) on the Sorter and choose Quit.

At a minimum, you can delete the DEVONthink Pro (Office) application from the /Applications folder and reboot the machine.

Thanks much Jim! One more query… have tons of ‘duplicate’ db files… can I dump these? (I’m a neatfreak at times.)

Answered in your support ticket. :slight_smile: