Importing PDFs from Evernote creates two notes in a group

When I imported a notebook from Evernote (using the legacy edition) into Devonthink - it did a lot of extra work for the PDFs. For each PDF it created an RTF note with a link to the PDF. It also grouped both.

See:

How do I automate deletion of the extra note and then remove the group, without deleting the notes that don’t have associated PDFs.

This has been covered in the forums before and it’s how Evernote does its exporting.

Here is my smart rule that can assist in the cleanup. Target the Evernote group in your database.

Clean Evernote Imports.dtSmartRule.zip (1.4 KB)

Thanks I did my best to find it and failed, can you help me see what I missed. I will install the smartrule. - Thanks Mark

FWIW When I ran Smart Rule it deleted many other notes in the Notebook. I suspect the idea is that I should only drag thinks that are suffering from grouping to it. - Mark

For notes with pdf file attachments, Evernote exports

1. a container
  2. the note (enml format)
  3. the pdf files

Devonthink imports this as

1. a group
  2. the note (formatted note - html)
  3. the pdf files
1 Like

Thanks. I guess I will just learn to live with this, import slowly only drag the grouped items into the Smart rule. - Mark

I realize this is a long time since you have posted your smart rule. Just wondering if you can give a little more info on how to use it. I have never used one and want to make sure I do it right.

I brought in 2700 notes and like others have said, it definitely made a lot of groups. It would be wonderful if I could eliminate them quickly and easily. I just want to keep the actual correct files.

Welcome @NorthStar

Download, unzip, and double-click the .dtSmartRule to install it.
In DEVONthink, double-click the smart rule in the Smart Rules section of the Navigate sidebar on the left side of the window.
Select your Evernote import group in the Search in dropdown and close the criteria editor.
Then Control-click the smart rule and choose Apply Rule.

1 Like

Thank you for the details. I am with you almost to the end. I am brand new to Devonthink and am not quite sure about a couple of the issues here.

I was able to install the smart rule. But it is grayed out in the navigate side bar. Is that OK?

I’m not sure what an Evernote import group is and I’m not sure what the search and drop down is and I’m also not sure what the criteria editor is.

Could you maybe say a few words about those or even just point to where I can read to understand?

I have a feeling this is going to be exceptionally helpful. And I sure don’t wanna mess anything up.

You’re welcome.

• It is grayed out since there’s no defined group. Double-click the smart rule as I mentioned and you’ll see what I’m referring to.
  • You said you imported noted from Evernote, so there should be an Evernote group in the database you imported to.

Thanks for the help. That seemed to work real well.

So I am left with a list of duplicates. Is it safe to eliminate those? If there were four duplicates for example does it only put three of them in the duplicates list? In other words if I eliminate the list of duplicates, will there still be one where it should be?