Importing selected mail from Mail.app into DT

When I purchased DT it came with scripts for importing selected mail.app entries. When I ran the script today I got the error message:

DEVONthink got an error: “/tmp/paypal” doesn’t understand the «event imptimpt» message.

Did something change? I am running version 1.9.5. of DT (not Pro) I did notice that the current .dmg file no longer has the script directory included.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Brian

Brian:

DT 1.9.5 doesn’t use the earlier scripts.

Instead, you can use the approach of printing files as PDF and sending them to your DT Personal database.

Here’s how:

[1] Make an alias of your DT 1.9.5 application.

[2] Drag the alias to BootVolumeName > Library > PDF Services/ and drop it there. Note that you may rename the alias, e.g., to “Print PDF to DT PE” or any other name you may prefer.

Now select the file(s) that you wish to save to your DT Personal database, e.g., Mail message(s). Check that File > Page Setup is set properly, then select File > Print. Click on the PDF button. You will find the name of the DT Personal alias among the options; click on it and you are up and running.

NOTE: This procedure allows capture of PDF copies of files from many applications, not just Mail.

For good housekeeping, remove the old script from its former location, as it should no longer be used.

Bill:
Thanks very much for the prompt reply. Definitely a more robust solution and as you pointed out, can be applied more generally to any application that can print.

I’m a bit confused as to how I import apple mail messages into DTPro…I have read the tutorial but frankly am no wiser. Could someone explain please?

TIA :unamused:

Alix

Alix:

If you have downloaded DT Pro 1.0.2, a number of scripts are automatically installed for you.

In Mail, select the name of a message, go the the menu bar, click on Scripts (stylized S) > Mail Scripts > Add Message(s) to DEVONthink. A plain text copy of the selected message(s) will be sent to your database.

Another approach would be to print selected messages to your database as PDF files, which retain the original appearance.

There was a glitch in the DT Pro 1.0.2 package saving of two files in your PDF Services directory. Here’s how to make the scripts work:

[1] Open Applications > AppleScript > Script Editor.

[2] Open, then Save, these two scripts: Save to DEVONthink Pro.scpt and Save to Printed.scpt. You will find the scripts at /YourUserName/Library/PDF Services/.

A neat advantage of the Save to DEVONthink Pro.scpt script is that it lets you choose the destination group in which you wish to store the message.

Alix:Thanks Bill for your reply to this…however, for me to make use of this info I need you to enlighten me on a couple of things and be more specific on another!!

Ok you put:…In Mail, select the name of a message, go the the menu bar, click on Scripts (stylized S) > Mail Scripts > Add Message(s) to DEVONthink. A plain text copy of the selected message(s) will be sent to your database.

My question: How do I get the stylised scripts icon to appear in the menu bar of mail?

Another approach would be to print selected messages to your database as PDF files, which retain the original appearance.

My question: Know how to print pdf…but to the specific DTdatabase? …or do you just mean print to desktop and import to database?

There was a glitch in the DT Pro 1.0.2 package saving of two files in your PDF Services directory. Here’s how to make the scripts work:

[1] Open Applications > AppleScript > Script Editor.

[2] Open, then Save, these two scripts: Save to DEVONthink Pro.scpt and Save to Printed.scpt. You will find the scripts at /YourUserName/Library/PDF Services/.

My question: Where do I save these to scripts to? I’ve found them ok.

A neat advantage of the Save to DEVONthink Pro.scpt script is that it lets you choose the destination group in which you wish to store the message.
[/quote]

Cheers Bill

Alix :slight_smile:

So does DT Personal support applescript at all? It sounds like the scripts that used to work in Personal are now a part of the Pro distribution. I guess I’m just confused/concerned that a feature such as this could just disappear from the software that I purchased. I can understand releasing an advanced version of a program that has new features not available in the basic version, but I have a bit of a problem with deleting features/functionality from the basic version. Or is my interpretation of this incorrect? I would like to understand this better.

Thanks all.

Yes and no. It makes no sense to develop two different sets of scripts/script suites, especially as the scripting of DT Personal was too limited to be really useful. And if you want to print PDFs to DT Personal, just add an alias of DT Personal to the folder ~/Library/PDF Services.

In addition, we have removed the very limited script support of DT Personal but added iPod & website export and full screen viewing/browsing/editing on the other hand. And that’s very fair in our opinion.

I guess there’s always some give and take. The iPod export is handy, so I guess that’s fair.