Importing Spotlight Items

I want to be able to do a Spotlight search and then Import or Index the results quickly into DT. Wasn’t there supposed to be a Finder script for that? I know I can now drag them to the Sorter but what about for Indexing??

The Finder scripts that v2 installed here:

• In the script menu under DEVONthink Pro:

Copy Selection to…
Copy Selection
Link to current document

• More/Automator/Add to DEVONthink under the contextual menu

Forgot about those, but how do you index a group of files from a Spoltlight folder?

Holding down the command and option keys while dragging the files from the Spotlight folder into DT will index the files in DT instead of importing them. There’s also an Index Droplet that will index files that are dropped onto it.

That modifier key combination can be easier to remember if you think of DT indexing like Finder aliasing.

Thanks so much…I think I knew that at one time and of course, I totally overlooked the droplet.

Thre probably should be a way to set the default preference for each Sorter box to either import or index to keep the design consistent?

DT has stated they prefer keeping preferences to a minimum (probably to kalisphoenix’s dismay :slight_smile:) but I think there’s still room for a few more and to rethink some that are confusing or don’t work well with multiple databases. And the Database Properties page might be a place for new or globally-overriding per-db prefs.

Does the command and option keys while dragging work also for dragging to the Sorter?

Yes, where it makes sense (depending on the data) it will create either a full copy or a reference that corresponds to an import or index operation fot the database. Just try it.

I believe you…makes sense. :slight_smile:

But while we are on the subject of dragging and dropping, I tried dragging a group of emails to the Sorter but it doesn’t work…the operation got stuck and there was an image of an icon in the Sorter box that wouldn’t go away.

I know there is a script for this, but for sake of consistency, shouldn’t it also work by dragging to the Sorter?

Dragging emails to the Sorter is doable, at least it has always worked for me. How many emails are you dragging at one time? Large HTML messages perhaps?

First I tried a group of 60 with no luck. Then I tried batches of 10 or so with a little more luck. Then I gave up and did one at a time but still some did not seem to work. I was too lazy to track which ones but one of them were particularly large.

Also, even if successful, the drag to Sorter has a different result than the Script:

1. The “Url” at the top is the message URL instead of the reply address (better for me)

2. The mod date is the date of the drag instead of the date of the message (bad).

I think this should be cleaned up for consistency. Also, the drag and drop should work.

Drag and drop of multiple messages from Mail only works because of a “hack”. Officially Apple Mail does not support this (try dragging these emails to the Finder). This has been a long-standing request to Apple by the developer (and user) community. Depending on the real-use experience of this hack, I may even decide to remove it. The best success rate you’ll get is to use our Mail plugin or our Mail Import window.

The mod date of a dragged message, like any imported mail message (since the days of V1) has and should be the date the message was imported in the database. The creation date is the date the mail was received.

Ah ha…I didn’t know that but, and forgive me if this is a dumb suggestion, but why could a drag of multiple emails to the sorter trigger the script, just for consistency?

Whatever the answer to this, I still think it makes more sense for the actual URL to the message be shown rather than the senders address which is already available as a field. As it is, there is no way to get back to the actual message.

Because we try to be consistent between importing email through different directions. And since people tend to remove email from Mail once they imported it in DT, you’ll end up with a dead link. Furthermore, since that URL is only related to Mail and no other email program uses it, again to be consistent we do not record it.
But if you want to script it, the UUID can be used. So you can create a URL: “message:<uuid>” and there you are.

The way to avoid the dead link is to link to the eml file in the Files.noindex folder in the database, not directly to the message in Mail. Then the link to the message opens in Mail, even if the original message has been deleted in Mail. OmniFocus does this nicely as an example, and even includes a “Show in Mailbox” link in the message to locate the original message if it has not been deleted.