Index and Synchronizing?

I’ve read a couple of troubleshooting threads on indexing, one of which suggested that the “Synchronize” menu item under File would refresh an indexed file/folder. In my case, the menu item is greyed out.
If I have a folder in DT that was created by indexing a folder in the filesystem, what are my options to refresh the index so that new documents that have been placed in the filesystem’s folder are represented and indexed in the DT folder?

Actually DT 1.8.x does not support the synchronize command (but version 1.9 will implement this) and therefore the only possibility is to add the "Action Import" or "Action Index" folder action scripts to your folders and afterwards DT 1.8.x will import/index files added to these folders automatically.

Ah, okay. That’s not so bad - the finder script. I’m still learning DT - thanks. What might be the procedure in 1.9? Will it be to use this Synchronize option?

The synchronize command will reindex/reimport updated material and add new files to groups referencing folders.

I’ve been trying to get the Action Import script to work, with no luck. I’ve enabled the folder in question, attached the Action Import script - but when I update the folder, nothing happens. Any suggestions? I update my folders fairly frequently (almost every day) and it would make my life much easier if I could get this working.

TIA,
Bash

Bash,

this thread is related to the upcoming “Synchronize” command, see menu “File > Synchronize”. This command isn’t available in v1.8.1b (menu item always disabled) but v1.9 will introduce it.

The “Action Import” script on the other hand is only able to import files added to folders using this script (e.g. doesn’t update modified files).

Thanks for this. I’m not really that concerned with updating modified files; I tend to upload files into DEVONthink and modify them from there. What I need help with is getting the Action Import script to work. Do you have any idea as to what may be the problem?

TIA,
Bash

Ps. Looking forward to v1.9!

Bash,

did you activate "Folder Actions" (see Finder’s contextual menu of folders)? And does DT support the file types added to this folder?

Hi again,

In answer to your questions, yes, I have activated folder actions and yes, Devonthink does support the file types. So what could be the explanation? Does it need some sort of refreshing? Do I need to quit and restart Devonthink?

TIA,
Bash

Will the upcoming Synchronize… command allow me to synchronize multiple databases?  What I want to do is to keep two databases on different machines and keep them up-to-date with each other, so that if I add a new document to one it gets copied to the other one the next time I synchronize the two of them.

This feature is very important to me.  I have two machines that I use often, and want to essentially keep a single database.