Index Sync is two way or not

I am using Index and not importing my files into DTPO. I understand from the manual (p 46) that update indexed items will bring any updated/changed file attributes from the file that is still outside DTPO, into the DTPO index.

I am less clear on if this is a two way sync or a one way sync. Meaning, if I work on a file in DTPO and I remove or add tags to that file, what happens to the original file? Does it remain unaffected? Does it also get changed tags? Does it update when I update indexed items again - or will that completely nullify my having already changed the DTPO indexed version as it replaces the indexed item with the old info on the file on my hard drive?

Perhaps I am making this all more complex than it needs to be. Perhaps all the indexed files are actual alias style file paths and what I change in DTPO will also and always, affect the original file?

I would appreciate a little clarification on this.

Thanks

If you index a file, and add a tag to that file in DEVONthink, the file shows the tag in DEVONthink and in Finder.
If you remove a tag in DEVONthink from that file, the file no longer shows the tag in DEVONthink or in Finder.
If you add a tag to that file in Finder, the file shows the tag in DEVONthink and in Finder.
If you remove a tag from that file in Finder, the file no longer shows the tag in DEVONthink or in Finder.

Is suppose you could call that a “two-way” sync.

Just to mention it: this sort of question is good, and is also really easy to test yourself. I always keep a test database around just to use to think through what-if scenarios like this. Which is what I just did.

Thanks very much.