Indexed file missing after renaming in one group of the same database

Hi All,

I am new to Devonthink but have imported a number of my folders to try and improve management. The folders are large with mostly PDF’s that I need to be able to search, organise and use. I have indexed the folders as I need to access them with other programs easily.

My issues are:

Issue 1. that if I rename an indexed file in Devonthink in one of my groups (a group set up to look at a set of documents) the same document in another group (also set up with a different collection of documents) the renamed file will show as ‘file missing’ in the second group (the one in which it was not physically renamed). These groups are in the same database, why can Devonthink not coordinate changes between these groups?

Issue 2. If I rename a document in Mac finder it will also show as missing, sometimes I will need to rename the documents from other programs also. Can Devonthink databases not cope with this?

Issue 3: If I have two groups in a database, group 1 is all of my documents and PDFs in my information folder, and group 2 is a subset of this information for PDFs only. If I do a search in my database it finds the same exact file, with the same location, in each group and shows me duplicate of the same document in the search. This is annoying, I only need to see it once if I am doing a full database search. Is this normal and can it be changed?

Thank you for the advice, this help forum has been very helpful so far,

Badger

Did you index the same files multiple times? It’s more actually more efficient to index them only once and to replicate them.

Where are the documents located? Usually DEVONthink should update the database after receiving filesystem events.

The search returns all items, no matter whether duplicates or not. You could either exclude one of the groups from searching (see Info inspector) or, even better, use replicants as suggested.

Thank you,

I have added to the discussion below:

Issue 1. that if I rename an indexed file in Devonthink in one of my groups (a group set up to look at a set of documents) the same document in another group (also set up with a different collection of documents) the renamed file will show as ‘file missing’ in the second group (the one in which it was not physically renamed). These groups are in the same database, why can Devonthink not coordinate changes between these groups?

Did you index the same files multiple times? It’s more actually more efficient to index them only once and to replicate them.

Yes I did index multiple times, as I decided to bring in the parent folder for a folder of PDFs I am already working with. Can I replicate the folder of 12,000 pdfs I need in a second group? I don’t see how to replicate a whole folder.

Issue 2. If I rename a document in Mac finder it will also show as missing, sometimes I will need to rename the documents from other programs also. Can Devonthink databases not cope with this?

Where are the documents located? Usually DEVONthink should update the database after receiving filesystem events.

They are all located in the parent folder, the whole of which is now indexed with Devonthink.

This is annoying, I only need to see it once if I am doing a full database search. Is this normal and can it be changed?

The search returns all items, no matter whether duplicates or not. You could either exclude one of the groups from searching (see Info inspector) or, even better, use replicants as suggested.

I see, not perfect, but if I can replicate the whole folder and make sure I bring in all of my folder structure early on for each database I think I can work with this.

Thank you for the assistance,

Badger

See e.g. contextual menu of main view or use Cmd-Alt drag & drop.

And where in the Finder are they located?

Cmd - Alt drag & drop works, to index the whole folder. But now with each folder it shows 1 duplicate. The Enclosing group shows as the actual location, with the file structure, e.g. information > papers to sort

The duplicate shows up as tags > badger working on >

Badger working on is a tag name I use for files I know I need to sort etc.

If I rename the PDF in the folder structure it is fine, but if I search for the PDF the duplicate shows up with the original file name, showing as file missing.

Finder locations for all these PDF’s is in my User > Documents > information

Thank you,

Badger

Did you actually Cmd-Alt drag & drop the indexed items inside DEVONthink? Only this creates replicants, Cmd-Alt drag & drop from the Finder indexes the files.

If I rename the PDF in the folder structure it is fine

Renaming it in the Finder?

PS: Why are you trying to replicate a group of 12,000 PDFs?

I cmd - Alt drag and drop in Devonthink, the folder shows in red now, which I think means replicated.

If I rename the PDF in the folder structure it is fine, - What I mean is if I rename the PDF in Devonthink the PDF I can see with the new name in the folder view is fine, I can open it. The duplicate that shows up in instances as showing in tags > badger working on >, if I click on that it does not open and says file missing (the file it shows me has the old file name).

The reason for replicating 12,000 pdfs is I want to be able to search them in one folder (papers to sort), where I can search just the papers I needs to organise. These are not in my Zotero library. I think have a master folder of information, this has lots of documents and PDFs, including the papers to sort folder, the information folder has 57,000 docs, 25,000 of which are in my Zotero referencing library.

I want to search the information folder, Zotero folder, and papers to sort folder, separately or together, depending on what I am looking for. As Devonthink will not let me select multiple folders to search together, using replicates is the only way I can see to give myself the search option I want in Devonthink.

Thank you,

Badger