Indexed folder content not updating in DT3

I’m having an issue with a folder that lives in Dropbox (~/Dropbox/Apps/Notebooks -dbox) and also synced to my desktop that I have indexed in to my main DevonThink Inbox.

If I add new files to the folder DT3 is not adding them to DT when I run Update Indexed Items. I use also DTToGo on an Iphone and Ipad and this has worked well in the past with DT2. I have tried removing and re-indexing and various things and willing to start from scratch. Is there anything new in DT3 about indexing that requires a different strategy?

1 Like

Having same issue!
I’m using InSync to sync files in indexed folder to google Drive. It is acting crazy.

Did you select the enclosing indexed group before executing this command?

Yes tried the command at all levels of the hierarchy.

What’s the full path of the indexed group (see Info inspector) and what’s the name of the files/folders which aren’t added?

Here is an example.
~/Dropbox/Apps/Notebooks -dbox/PROJ-Notes - Agenda/Sage Forum

The Notebooks -dbox Folder is indexed and includes a few folders with misc contents and files at the root level.

New files in Sage Forum are not displayed in DT3

~/Dropbox/Apps/Notebooks -dbox/PROJ-Notes - Agenda/Sage Forum

In Sage Forum folder: 3 files, 1 .pptx file , 1 .md file, 1 .docx file

The .docx file was present when originally indexed. The other two added yesterday.

Are you able to index this folder successfully into a new database or a second time into the same database?

I’ve reindexed the same folder now 3 times into the same database, the global Inbox. Although it will track the changes made to files outside of DT3 it won’t update the file list for the indexed folders.

And do you experience the same after indexing a folder created by you in ~/Dropbox (not in ~/Dropbox/Apps)? Does it matter whether the Dropbox app is running concurrently?

I have not tried using the ~/Dropbox/ root folder. Drop is always “running” in that it is syncing this folder to the Dropbox cloud. This setup has been in place for a long time using with DT2 and DT2Go flawlessly.

So far I couldn’t reproduce this, no matter whether a file is added locally or another computer and then synchronized by Dropbox, the indexed group is in both cases automatically updated.

Very interesting. Maybe some conflict. On DT2Go, if you SEARCH you see the files. But the folder list itself is not updated.

I have not tried using the ~/Dropbox/ root folder.

Have you tried this yet?
And are you using a Dropbox account with Smart Sync?

Is SmartSync their newish feature that stores all files in the cloud and only brings them “down when requested for editing”, like google Drive? I am NOT using that feature but using to older mode where the files stay on the local drive (in the Dropbox folder) and changed/deleted/new files are synced right away to Dropbox cloud repository.

Is my file path too deep do you think?

Is SmartSync their newish feature that stores all files in the cloud and only brings them “down when requested for editing”, like google Drive? I am NOT using that feature but using to older mode where the files stay on the local drive (in the Dropbox folder) and changed/deleted/new files are synced right away to Dropbox cloud repository.

I’m glad to hear it as this smells like trouble for people using it. I haven’t hear of any of our customers using it though.

Is my file path too deep do you think?

It shouldn’t be.
Did you try it in a new database, per Criss’ suggestion?

Yes, I have and it seems to be working. Will report back when I know for certain. For what it’s worth I had tried rebuilding the Global Inbox too.

Thanks!

Now all is syncing fine through a newly created database. New files and folders created outside DT3 are showing up. Thanks all for your @bluefrog and @cgrunenberg for thoughts and recommendations. If there is any guidance on best practices, iCloud versus Dropbox etc in the future I’d be happy to know about it. This is a major use case for me.