Indexed pdf's and tags

It is interesting that from the above-mentioned blog, in the Finder search criteria the author is seeing ‘Tags’ for Mavericks tags and ‘TagsOM’ for OpenMeta tags. All I see is the name ‘Tags’ for both-curious why that is?

Image from the Academic Workflows on Mac blog:

Well, now this is curious that DEVONthink no longer imports Mavericks tags at all here. A restart had no effect…

I also do not see “TagsOM” in the Finder Search criteria, but I have two instances of most of the parameters. FWIW, search on “Tagging Application” never returns results.

Import still working over here.

I’m not sure that blog has accurate information – it suggests that Spotlight’s features changed today (20131025) but AFAICT there has been no OS X 10.9.x updates issued since the initial public release.

Hey all,

I’ve been trying to see how Mavericks tags and DTP tags are functioning. For me, if I add a tag in DTP (which is OpenMeta), I can see that tag reflected in the Finder on that file. Adding a Mavericks tag in the Finder to that same file is NOT reflected in DTP. Even after I update indexed files, there is no updating inside DTP. So right now, it appears this is a one way street, with the Finding recognizing DTP’s tags but not vice versa. I hope this will be resolved in the future. I’d like for the tags to be interoperable.

Thanks, Greg. The blog you cited does present interesting information about issues for using Mavericks and OpenMeta tags. We can’t yet assume that both Mavericks and OM tags can be assigned/used without potential problems. OpenMeta began by using a section of code Apple had reserved to itself. At a minimum, Apple’s venture into tagging hasn’t destroyed OpenMeta tags outright, which some had feared might happen.

The Spotlight options comes from the OpenMeta schema.xml. This should be loaded with the appropriate OpenMeta.mdimporter installed. People without any Ironic Software should see these options in Spotlight’s options (unless Apple is including it now - which I doubt (and I don’t have my Mavericks machine yet :open_mouth: )).

So far they seem to be importing OK; I dropped a bunch of emails into DTP that had been tagged via MailTags and the tags are showing.

I find the Finder tagging system to be awful; one still needs a decent tagging application to get anywhere with tags even if you don’t already have open meta tags. Good on Apple for making it official, but I fear their implementation will scare people off.

BTW HoudahSpot is a great utility for this. Their stock template has options for searching for keywords, open meta tags, Mavericks tags, or all of the above.

Rob