Indexing as primary data storage method

I’ve read the Help, and I’ve read some forum posts - and I just want to make sure I’m understanding this correctly since there’s a lot of scary-sounding stuff around indexing, and I’m having a hard time imagining that it’s as bad as some people say.

Let’s say I have a database called “Customers”. Within that database, I have an indexed folder for each of half a dozen primary customers that I’m working with at the moment.

So…let’s say the customer is “Bob’s Burgers”.

If I open the “Bob’s Burgers” folder in DEVONthink (an indexed folder), and the database has been properly indexed, my view of that folder (as far as what’s in it) in DEVONthink is going to be the same as the view in Finder. And moving files within DEVONthink, as long as all the files stay in that indexed folder, will move them in Finder. And deleting them within DEVONthink will delete them in Finder as well.

Likewise, moving files in Finder will move them in DEVONthink, and deleting them from Finder will delete them in DEVONthink UNLESS somehow the database falls out of sync with Finder. If that happens, I can force the resync and square everything up again.

The only way to actually lose data in this scenario is to manually delete a file either from Finder or within DEVONthink.

Whether or not DEVONthink reflects a deletion performed in Finder immediately is a different question, and one I’m not that concerned about, as long as a re-index will tidy up the database.

Am I correct in my understandings?

Yes, you seem to have the basics down.

However, note this: If you move an indexed file out of the indexed group to a non-indexed group, say the database’s Inbox, it will have no effect on the file in the Finder. If you check the path, the file will show it’s correct path even though it’s not in that group in the database. Just be aware of the behavior as it’s possible to do (and by design), but it could be confusing if you’re not paying attention.