Indexing is causing duplicate entries in DT

I mentioned unexplained recent duplicates in this post (Deleting Indexed items - #7 by mikebore)

Since then I have searched for files with “copy” in the title and found several others in places I haven’t been to recently.

Where are your indexed items located?

Dropbox

Before I started with DT I saved a separate copy of all my documents. I have just looked in this at old folders from years ago and these do not have the duplicates I now have.

Like an earlier poster I only started noticing these unexplained duplicates when they appeared for files I modify weekly so something has changed recently.

I guess you are likely to say it is a Dropbox problem and you may be correct. Whether it is Dropbox or DEVONthink, I am thinking of going back to only using DT for imported files. Not just for this issue. I am reaching an age where I value simplicity more than extra capability and using DT on four sync’d devices with indexed files is not as simple as when I used all imported.

Is the option to duplicate items in case of conflicts enabled on one or more devices? Did you recently clean a sync store?

Yes to both questions.

I am going to withdraw this comment. A more rigourous search shows that quite a few duplicates did exist in the old separate copy of all my documents.

(BTW the number of duplicates involved is not huge…tens in a database of thousands).

The fact remains that something does seem to have changed recently, such that my most used files have started showing duplicates, and I am modifying them weekly as I have done for a long time.

Cleaning a sync store and uploading the database(s) again might actually cause conflicts (and therefore copies if enabled) too if the local databases on some devices are not identical to the one that’s uploaded.

4 Likes

Cleaning a sync store and uploading the database(s) again might actually cause conflicts (and therefore copies if enabled) too if the local databases on some devices are not identical to the one that’s uploaded.

I thought I had replied to this but seems not. Anyway that may be the explanation as I did a lot of syncstore cleaning for another problem. I have not cleaned a syncstore for some time now and no unexpected repeats have occurred. Thank you.

2 Likes