Indexing to Different Databases

Hi All

I have been using DTPO off and on for a while now. I currently index my files as I prefer to keep them in dropbox where I can access them more seamlessly using other programs and apps etc when needed. I have 2 questions about this.

The first, is there anything inherently wrong with (or that I should be aware of) if I want to index the same folder in dropbox to 2 different databases in DTPO? I get that it’s probably a non-sensical set up but I have a “Knowledge” database which also has a group named “Law” inside it. I like the overarching Knowledge database but as I’m currently studying Law I would also like a separate database (at least in the short term) for it, particularly for when I want to show others something in it. So, I guess what I’m asking is would I need to move (in dropbox) my Law folder out of the Knowledge folder, or can I keep it nested and have it indexed to both databases without any potential problems?

Secondly, I’ve played around with the import/index options over a while now and have gone back and forth to work out what should work best for me. I’m still trying to get a couple of things straight in my mind though. So with indexing, if I want to rearrange my folder or file set up - I need to do that in dropbox (if I want the structure to be the same in both dropbox and the database). Alternatively, I can do a “move into database”, then rearrange things how I like, and then do a “move to external folder.” Is that correct?

Also, is there any way to see any files/folders that you have moved around in the DTPO database and so are now not in the same structural hierarchy as the external folder? I have created a smart folder to show me any files I create within DTPO that I haven’t yet moved to the external folder (instance “is not” indexed) - and that seems a huge help for knowing the database and external folder is in order. I’m not sure if there’s an equivalent however, for letting me know if I have moved indexed files/folders around within the DTPO database. I’m thinking there probably isn’t and it just takes good awareness (to know not to move them) but I’d be interested in how others deal with such a situation.

Kind Regards
Linda

1. You can index the same documents in multiple databases – just be aware that changing content in one place will change it everywhere.

2. You have the gist of it. There’s a few really good posts on this topic in the forum from Greg_Jones. Sorry not to have the links at my fingertips, but I suggest searching for what Greg has written about his methods for managing indices.

3. No – an audit trail would be useful but it isn’t a current feature.

Thanks Korm

You perhaps already know this (as I believe you have an excellent grasp of how indexing works), but there is nothing inherently wrong with moving indexed documents to different groups, even to non-indexed groups, in your database. The only consequences is that the group structure in the database and the folder structure in the Finder will not match up perfectly. Personally, I’ve not found that to be a problem. I make heavy use of replicants, so for that reason alone my indexed group contents do not match the corresponding Finder folder contents.

Thanks for that Greg. It took me a while to get my head around being ok with the finder version and DevonThink version not “matching” but I think I’ve got there now. Once I moved to indexing, trying to keep both the finder and devonthink matching, not only created more work but it limited the many benefits of Devonthink - like being able to use replicants, as you’ve mentioned. Thankfully, now that I’m mostly ok with moving the indexed documents around as needed, I can use all of Devonthink’s features again. There may still be the odd time when I want to do a major or at least meaningful restructure to realign the finder and devonthink somewhat, but I’ll be making sure my reasons for it are more than “just wanting them to match.”