Integration with Hook

I’ve started to look at Hook, which might fulfill a need which I think I might have :thinking: One obvious problem with Hooking from DT is that I can’t see that an item has a hook without actually looking for one.

This post on the Hook forum suggests that a dynamic lookup and integration of an appropriate icon would probably be a doddle.

I am aware of the script on offer which tags hooked items in DT; that’s an adequate solution, but not as clean & nice as proper integration. So I’d like to request integration of Hook (that is an icon showing an item has a hook). Thanks for considering :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here’s a revision of Luc’s script (see https://hookproductivity.com/help/integration/using-hook-with-devonthink/devonthink-hook-applescript/) which supports all databases, is faster and adds error handling:

property pTag : "Hook"

tell application id "DNtp"
	tell application "Hook" to set hookedLinks to address of (every bookmark whose address begins with "x-devonthink-item://" and hooked bookmarks is not equal to {})
	try
		repeat with theDatabase in databases
			repeat with taggedRec in (lookup records with tags {pTag} in theDatabase)
				set oldTags to tags of taggedRec
				set newTags to {}
				repeat with t in oldTags
					if (t as string) is not equal to pTag then set newTags to newTags & t
				end repeat
				set tags of taggedRec to newTags
			end repeat
		end repeat

set {od, AppleScript's text item delimiters} to {AppleScript's text item delimiters, "x-devonthink-item://"}
		repeat with l in hookedLinks
			set theRecord to get record with uuid (text item 2 of l)
			if theRecord exists then set tags of theRecord to tags of theRecord & pTag
		end repeat
		set AppleScript's text item delimiters to od
	on error error_message number error_number
		if the error_number is not -128 then display alert "DEVONthink" message error_message as warning
	end try
end tell

But better (meaning automatic and more efficient) is probably to use a scheduled smart rule like this one…

…and the following script:

-- The (scheduled) smart rule has to find items already tagged with "Hook" and to untag them as this scripts adds only the tag

on performSmartRule(theRecords)
	tell application "Hook" to set hookedLinks to address of (every bookmark whose address begins with "x-devonthink-item://" and hooked bookmarks is not equal to {})
		try
			set {od, AppleScript's text item delimiters} to {AppleScript's text item delimiters, "x-devonthink-item://"}
				set theRecord to get record with uuid (text item 2 of l)
			end repeat
			set AppleScript's text item delimiters to od
		end try
	end tell
end performSmartRule
3 Likes

BTW:
The smart rule can be also used to easily view all currently hooked items.

That is wonderfully fast and clean, thanks :slight_smile: I haven’t used flagging in the past, so I’ve added a flag to the smart rule and script - so now the records have an optical mark too. Nice - thanks Criss!

PS looking through the forum there have been a couple of requests for coloured flags. Whilst I don’t need coloured flags, if’d be nice to be able to define the colour of the single flag which is available in DT - that way it would be easier to make it stand out from the mass of locked items :slight_smile: So that’s my feature request now (I know, some ppl just don’t get enough :crazy_face: or can I do that myself some way -> didn’t find anything in the forum, so I guess not).

1 Like

Since version 3.7.2 this script can be simplified a little bit:

on performSmartRule(theRecords)
		try
				set theRecord to get record with uuid l
			end repeat
		end try
	end tell
end performSmartRule
2 Likes