Has anyone noticed a problem using Ulysses to open documents within DTTG, using the Document Provider method (I think that’s what it’s called…)
When I use iaWriter and 1Write, I can navigate to a document held within a DTTG database and edit that document directly. The process seems to work very well and has caused no problems for me.
When I try the same process with Ulysses, while I can navigate to a DTTG document and open and edit it with the changes being reflected in the DTTG document, there’s a problem which makes the process unusable:
After editing for a short period (anything from 30 seconds or so to a couple of minutes) then Ulysses delete the last few words that I’ve typed. The problem occurs as I type (ie once the text is in and I’m not typing, no further truncation occurs.)
The problem is completely reproducible: it happens every time I open a DTTG document in Ulysses. If I continue typing in the same document, after a similar interval, the same thing will happen again and continue happening as long as I continue to type. This is definitely not a typing error (there are no likely shortcuts on the Apple Smart Keyboard which could trigger it, and secondly it doesn’t happen on iaWriter or 1Write).
It looks to me like the sort of behaviour you’d get if the process is interrupted, causing the Ulysses version to be reset to the last DTTG version and missing the last three - five words. Obviously, I’ve no idea whether that is the case, but it’s what it looks like.
I’ve reported this to Ulysses, who say that they can’t replicate the error. As a next step I wondered whether anyone has noticed something similar?
I cannot replicate this (today’s current versions of DEVONthink to Go, Ulysses, and iOS, on an iPad Pro).
Perhaps you have sample document(s) that you could send to DEVONthink Support for them to attempt to reproduce the issue?
As far as I can tell it’s with any markdown document. I did a screen recording showing the problem for Ulysses support, and I’ll send it to Devonthink support in due course. I just wanted to see if anyone else had noticed a problem first.
I’m on an iPad Pro 10.5 with iOS 12.0.1 and up to date versions of DTTG and Ulysses, using an Apple Smart Keyboard. I haven’t tested it with the screen keyboard yet — must do that.
I wondered if it were something to do with DTTG syncing to the desktop, and somehow ‘interrupting’ or ‘resetting’ the document, but I tried turning sync off and it still happened.
Ultimately, I’ll just use iaWriter which works without a glitch, but it would nice to get to the bottom of the problem.
Ok, I did this again – this time I created a markdown document in a synced database in DEVONthink to Go – not the Global Inbox, a separate database.
I then went over to Ulysses and opened that document from the External Files section by accessing Files > DEVONthink to Go > my database > Tester.md
I edited in Ulysses with no issues. Then I explicitly closed the document in Ulysses (swipe left, press the three dot icon and choose Close).
Back in DEVONthink to Go, the appeared not to be updated – I could not see my edits.
But, back in DEVONthink on the desktop the changes had synced down to the original database.
That’s not right.
It’s not the same issue as @brookter, but seems to overlap with their issue.
To see the edits in DTTG, I normally have to move away from the document in question (click on another) then back again before I can see the changes — but that’s the case with ones I edit in iaWriter and 1Write as well. Is that different for you normally?
This is what I see with the problematic behaviour:
dropbox.com/s/pv2ocdjjikj9j … 1.mp4?dl=0
It’s a screen recording of the process, from creating the document in DTTG in a synced database, through opening and editing it in Ulysses, back to DTTG, then viewing it after clicking away and back.
I didn’t use any quick delete keys (cmd-backspace), so you should be able to see the difference between my deleting a single key to correct a word and he sudden abrupt loss of a few words – in one case a whole line. It’s not very slick demo, sorry, but I think it shows what’s going on—and it doesn’t happen with iaWriter/1Write.
I’ve sent the report in to Devonthink support.
I realize that yours is a different issue, but I have found this to be the case also.
As an update:
I’ve just wiped the iPad clean and reinstalled iOS 12.0.1. The only apps I’ve reinstalled were DTTG and Ulysses, and I’m still getting the same problem. It’s very odd.
I actually looks like as if DEVONthink To Go signals a change to the document (e.g. caused by the sync kicking in) and that confuses Ulysses (but not iaWrite or 1Writer).
We could send you a build of DEVONthink To Go with extended logging here. Please contact our support for this.
@brookter: I moved your Support ticket to the correct place. No worries.
Cheers Eric — I’ll be in touch.
Thanks Jim — I reported it when I was on the Mac rather than make a special journey to get the iPad. I presumed your system would be sophisticated enough to work out what was going on…
I’m not all that sophisticated but I manage.