Is Database a Folder? File?

My wife’s database is somehow a folder instead of a file. I can’t open the folder, and the database backups between it, I can’t access them either.

The folder is named Grabit.dtbase2, but it can’t be loaded. As I look through time-machine backups it seems it’s always been a folder and not a file?

I can “Open package” on one of my own databases and see that the structure is identical to her database–but it is understood by the system to be a folder not a file. I’m thoroughly confused.

How can I open this thing again? It seems to be totally lost to access!!

– Gerry

Further analysis has it that she was using an old version of DevonThink malingering on the drive (1.5.4).

But the basic question still remains. Why is her database a folder instead of a “package”. Mine is a package.

– Gerry

DEVONthink Personal databases (whether version 1.x or 2.x) are folders, stored at ~/Library/Application Support/.

DEVONthink Pro and Pro Office (whether version 1.x or 2.x) are package files, a special kind of folder that looks like a file rather than a folder. :slight_smile:

There are significant differences in the database structures of versions 1.x and 2.x.