Is it possible to import previously indexed documents without creating duplicates? Or "convert" an indexed doc to an import?

If a DB has been mostly indexed, say from a Dropbox folder, but if I would now like to import those docs that were previously indexed, is there a way to do that WITHOUT creating duplicates? Or should I just do it and then use a script to remove the dupes?

Thank you. But this is different than what happens on an initial import:

“Importing copies files into the internal structure of the database.” (Help/Importing and Indexing)

Once a document has been indexed, is it then possible to Import a copy? Or perhaps a better way to describe the sought-after magic: Is it possible to convert an index entry to an imported document, or to replace an index reference with a copy of the actual document? Again, without creating a duplicate.

TIA

If you right-click on the indexed document, there should be an option to “Move into Database”. Does that accomplish what you’re looking for?

EDIT: I may have misunderstood your request - can you please clarify. When you say you want to import the indexed file, do you mean you want to move the external document into the database? Or do you want to replace the indexed with a copy of the original file, so that there’s one copy inside the DT database and another copy in the external location?

Logically, no. If you import a copy of a file into the same database, it will be detected as a duplicate no matter what.

1 Like

Sorry to be ambiguous.

The latter. I would now like to replace the indexed external document with a copy of the doc inside the DT database. (We use Dropbox for office sharing.) But I do not want to MOVE anything. Other ppl need access to the docs, but they do not use DT. But those other ppl sometimes rearrange folder structures on Dropbox, which causes my DT indexed links to go bad and causes me to lose the document. (They’re usually just creating sub-folders when something gets unwieldy and needs to be broken up, but it still screws up my DT experience.)

TIA

Other ppl need access to the docs, but they do not use DT. But those other ppl sometimes rearrange folder structures on Dropbox,

Why is the behavior allowed? Is no one properly administering this shared repository??

1 Like

So do I need to just repopulate those parts of the db? Sounds like yes.

I would say so.
Then send an email to everyone, including those directly above you, telling people they will not have access to the data if they in any way move/remove/or rename anything.

1 Like