Is it possible to import previously indexed documents without creating duplicates? Or "convert" an indexed doc to an import?

If a DB has been mostly indexed, say from a Dropbox folder, but if I would now like to import those docs that were previously indexed, is there a way to do that WITHOUT creating duplicates? Or should I just do it and then use a script to remove the dupes?

Thank you. But this is different than what happens on an initial import:

“Importing copies files into the internal structure of the database.” (Help/Importing and Indexing)

Once a document has been indexed, is it then possible to Import a copy? Or perhaps a better way to describe the sought-after magic: Is it possible to convert an index entry to an imported document, or to replace an index reference with a copy of the actual document? Again, without creating a duplicate.

TIA

If you right-click on the indexed document, there should be an option to “Move into Database”. Does that accomplish what you’re looking for?

EDIT: I may have misunderstood your request - can you please clarify. When you say you want to import the indexed file, do you mean you want to move the external document into the database? Or do you want to replace the indexed with a copy of the original file, so that there’s one copy inside the DT database and another copy in the external location?

Logically, no. If you import a copy of a file into the same database, it will be detected as a duplicate no matter what.

1 Like

Sorry to be ambiguous.

The latter. I would now like to replace the indexed external document with a copy of the doc inside the DT database. (We use Dropbox for office sharing.) But I do not want to MOVE anything. Other ppl need access to the docs, but they do not use DT. But those other ppl sometimes rearrange folder structures on Dropbox, which causes my DT indexed links to go bad and causes me to lose the document. (They’re usually just creating sub-folders when something gets unwieldy and needs to be broken up, but it still screws up my DT experience.)

TIA

Other ppl need access to the docs, but they do not use DT. But those other ppl sometimes rearrange folder structures on Dropbox,

Why is the behavior allowed? Is no one properly administering this shared repository??

2 Likes

So do I need to just repopulate those parts of the db? Sounds like yes.

I would say so.
Then send an email to everyone, including those directly above you, telling people they will not have access to the data if they in any way move/remove/or rename anything.

1 Like

Assuming that those people have a legitimate business reason for reorganizing the folder structure how would one just handle it on the Devonthink side without losing any of the metadata that may have been added by the DT user into DevonThink indexed db.

If they just Re indexed would DT be able find the files in their new location and keep the metadata?

If you use an indexed DB w DT to reorganize your does it also move the files in the OS, ie in Finder?

If you’re moving them within indexed groups in DEVONthink, then yes.

Have you read the Help > Tutorials > Index Data and the In & Out > Importing & Indexing section of the built-in Help and manual ?

Yes I did but it mentions how the indexes can get confused if you make changes in finder and then in DT

My concern is that if you reindex the files you might lose some meta data.

And why would you reindex the files?

Because the index gets confused when you move the files in Finder.

Do you index only files or complete folders?

Folders

What I would like, but I think that I read that would be somewhat unreliable, is to import into DT and then when I make some changes in Finder to the imported folders to be able to say plz update DT and have DT update the Database with the changes.

It would be awesome if the option to sync both ways was available.

When users import folders into DT, do they then primarily just work in DT to manage the files?

Reliable Sync, the Holy Grail of Computing.

Note: That is not syncing. sync is a very specific term in DEVONthink and unrelated to what you’re describing. And this isn’t a matter if pedantry; clarity is important.

Also, what you’re proposing is the essence of what indexing does. Imported items have no connection to the originals in the Finder.

Again, understand the indexing process already in place or use importing instead.

1 Like

So help me understand, if I index a folder in iCloud and then make a bunch of changes to that folder in Finder will those changes be reflected in DT.

Vice Versa

If I make changes in DT will those changes be reflected in iCloud.

I will reread the manual on indexing

– Importing

If I import a iCloud folder into DT Database XXX and then make a bunch of changes in iCloud using Finder the only way to get those changes to be reflected in DT is to create a new DT database and import the files into DT Database YYY.

I was hoping that there was a way to (re)import into XXX and have it keep what had not been changed and just import the changes.

That’s how indexing is supposed to work. Note that the files and folders exist only once, so if you modify them in one “place”, they’re modified in the other.

See above.

Not “the only way”. One way. But that begs the question of why you’d want to duplicate data and take all kinds of complicated steps to keep it in sync. What’s the point of that exercise? And if you need to access files in the Finder and in DT, why not index it?

Importing and at the same time re-implementing all the functionality of indexing seems like a sure way to create frustration and problems.

Remember that you are doing nothing in Finder. Finder is only giving you a view into the macOS file system and giving you capability to use other apps to make changes to files that are stored in that file system.

1 Like