Is it possible to refresh a captured webarchive document

If I capture a web page to DT as a webarchive, can I subsequently “refresh” it if content has been added on the web?. For example, a forum discussion.
I understand that any prior annotations made to the DT webarchive document would be lost.
thanks in advance for your time and help

By reloading it?
BTW, Apple has deprecated webarchive format. In the long term you might want to use something else.

1 Like

Yes, this is possible by refreshing the page.
Also, you can choose Update Captured Archive in the action menu (gear icon) to update the captured page.
However, some content may still change if it is being loaded dynamically, as happens on some sites.

1 Like

It’s strange:

• when I look at it in the 3 panel view, all I see if source code, even if I click on View → doc display → preview.
  • if I double click on the web archive, all is fine. I see the web page in a DT window

thank you for your suggestion.
Which format would you suggest in general and , for example if I capture this forum discussion ?

• when I look at it in the 3 panel view, all I see if source code, even if I click on View → doc display → preview.

I’m not seeing the same behavior here. Inonly see the markup when viewing the source.

Which format would you suggest in general and , for example if I capture this forum discussion ?

You could try HTML if you want to reload the page. PDF if you want a static capture.

1 Like

thank you.
It’s strange: I tested an RTFD both by import and sync.

The file contains with many many links (Bear note, Evernote note, Bear Tags, Web, Apple Mail).

The import and sync behaviour is the same:

• If I click in the RTFD document in DT in the middle pane (3 pane view), none of the links work.
  • If I double click (set to open in new window in DT, not external editor), all the links work perfectly which is great.
    I cannot explain what is happening.

and another issue is this error message when I tried a few times to capture this forum page
{“errors”:[“You’ve performed this action too many times, please try again later.”]}

The file contains with many many links (Bear note, Evernote note, Bear Tags, Web, Apple Mail).

Can you ZIP and post the file here?

{“errors”:[“You’ve performed this action too many times, please try again later.”]}

Where are you seeing this error? A screen capture could be helpful.

RTFD file: nearly all links are local (Evernote, Bear notes, Bear tags and Apple Mail). I will create a new simple file with a web link only) and upload it

error message:

After further testing.

In both the imported or indexed RTFD file, the following links

work:

• web
  • apple mail

are broken (all are local) in the middle pane, but work when open in new window

• Bear note and tags
  • evernote

so there is no point sending the file since the broken links are local.

There must be some fundamental difference between the middle pane and open in new DT (not external app) window.

so there is no point sending the file since the broken links are local.

We can inspect the file if you post it.

I found the problem. There is a conflict between DT and a Chrome (my default browser) extension.

I had 2 problems while working in DT solved by removing the Print Friendly Chrome extension

1- when I captured a web page a few times I would get the error message

2- when I clicked on the refresh/reload icon in DT, it would trigger the print command. All of a sudden, I had a flash: the DT View → document display → preview command shortcut ⌃⌘P is the same as the Chrome Extension Print Friendly shortcut, although I repeat I click on the DT refresh icon, never on the keyboard shortcut.

I removed print friendly and both problems were solved.

I imagine that the DT embedded browser must have something to do with the chrome engine.

does DT support Hook links ?

According to their site, Hook works with DEVONthink. Beyond that, I can’t say

1 Like

OK thanks