Is there a way to make RSS feed documents editable, not "read only"? If not, is there a way to automatically send RSS feeds into my database as "Formatted Notes"?

Is there a way to make RSS feed documents editable, not “read only”? (For example, to have them automatically converted to formatted text when new feed items are downloaded.) If not, is there a way to automatically send RSS feed items into my database as “Formatted Notes” automatically when the news feed downloads the items?

I’m new to DevonThink, pardon my ignorance. I want to use it as an automatic library for news feeds. Turning news feeds into notes and using the powerful search functionality to find what I want later.

1 Like

Welcome to the forums, @adamngst and no worries about ignorance. That’s just the state of not knowing something, not something to apologize for (unless someone is trolling or being willfully ignorant).

You can set Preferences > RSS > Feed Format to Formatted Note.
You can also set the Format field per-feed in the Tools > Generic Info inspector.

However, do you really want all feed articles to come in as formatted notes? They are larger than the brief automatic format and there is often noise in feed articles.

Oh, wow, @BLUEFROG, I can’t believe I missed this setting in the preferences! I must have glossed over it several times. Unbelievable.

So, it appears that these RSS feed items are still un-editable (“read-only”) even though they are formatted notes. Is this “read-only” default unchangeable? If so, is there a way I can automate sending these RSS feed items into a database as formatted notes, or text-only notes, that I can edit?

Thanks a lot!

Items located in feeds are read-only news, after moving them to a different location they’re editable.

Yes, it appears that way. Is there a way I can automate sending these RSS feed items into a database as formatted notes, or text-only notes, that I can edit? I attempted this but it doesn’t seem to have worked. Any suggestions?

A smart rule performed On News should be able to handle this.