Keyboard shortcuts in Sorter

Hi, folks

I’m using the trial of DT3 and am keenly interested so far :slightly_smiling_face:
I’ve particularly keen to use it in place of Pocket in a lot of circumstances, to capture URLs.

However, I’m experiencing a lot of UI friction in the keyboard navigation of the Sorter, when called from the Safari web-clipper extension. Compared to the fantastic keyboard support in the rest of the app, Sorter seems a bit of a poor relation.

Is there a published list of hotkeys for the Sorter?

I’d expected to be able to:

• Swap between the top-row tab choices (folder, text, audio, video, screen grab, web-clip) using what feel like fairly standard CMD-1/2/3/4/5/6, but they’re reserved for the text format(!)
  • Navigate between input boxes using the TAB key, but that fails in the web-clip tab when the focus enters the Comments box, which accepts tabs as valid characters
  • Easily jump to different panes (e.g. tags)
  • See navigation hints with mouse hover-overs (they’ve not on the top row)
  • See clearly-visible (or at least documented) keyboard shortcuts to navigate between the different panes in the web-clip pane of the Sorter (ideally in mouse hover-over hints, too)

I’ve managed to find that CMD-S is “Add” from this old post, which has helped. And I’ve seen this related post, which was never answered.

Apologies if I’ve misunderstood anything, but I didn’t find this immediately obvious from the UI, the help text, the manual, or the Take Control book.

If this isn’t currently possible (apologies if I’ve misunderstood anything), would it be possible to review this for a future release?

Best wishes,
Steve

• To swap between top row tabs use Option+Command+ 1 to 6, Command + 1 2, or 3 is used in both the web clip view and the screen shot view to select on of the 3 options.
  • To navigate out a text view you can use the standard Control+Tab to move to the next field or Control+Shift+Tab to move to the previous field.
  • Using the Tab key ( and Control+Tab) you can navigate to the tags field.

I will add tooltips for the top row options for the next update.

Thanks for your speedy and helpful reply, Alan - it’s much appreciated.

Ah, I wonder if I’ve found a small bug? CTRL-TAB navigation works perfectly in the Take Note pane in the Sorter, but not in the Web Clip one. Do you see the same thing, or would you like me to post a video somewhere?

Best wishes,
Steve

1 Like

Confirmed Web Clip is behaving differently.

2 Likes

Yes, appears to be an issue, tabbing twice out of the Web Clip comments field will still get you to the Tags field. I will fix this for the next update.

Wow - thanks, Alan :+1:t2:

Is there a keyboard shortcut to jump to the “location” in the sorter? Evernote’s web clipper is fantastic with keyboard shortcuts and very easy to change the location of the clip from the keyboard. Does Devonthink have any shortcuts for that? Moving away from Evernote may be really hard in this regard.

Welcome @humanjk
No the Sorter doesn’t have shortcuts to choose different locations.