kill the drawer!

Maak and milhouse, I quite agree.

I can understand user frustration, for example, if one has scrolled down some distance in a long document that one is writing, and wishes to do See Selected Text for inspiration. Select several paragraphs, Command-click and select the CM option, See Selected Text. A list of suggested documents appears. One of them provides inspiration. Great!

Now to return to writing, pursuing that inspiration. That document is at the top of the list, and clicking it’s name will return to it.

Click. Arrrrgh! I’m back in my writing project, but at the top of the document. I’ve lost my scrolling position and have to find it again, perhaps somewhere near the bottom (maybe, I think).

Call this a UI problem, a functionality problem, or simply an irritation.

I’m infamous for kludges and workarounds, so I usually avoid that problem. Here’s how. When I decide to seek inspiration by using See Selected Text, I press Command-R (Reveal) to display my working document in another view. This works, because I’m working in an open document window. Scrolling in the two views of the same document is independent, unless one makes a change in one of them and saves it.

So I can use See Also or See Selected Text (and still other ways of analyzing and comparing text) on the “Revealed” view of the document, without losing my place in the original document window. That can also work for checking Wiki links.

There are alternative approaches that could be taken to improve the user experience in such circumstances. And I quite agree that the approach should be one that’s transparent to the user, and so better than my ‘kludge’. Tabbed windows might be the approach, but I can think of at least one other approach that would be intuitive and satisfactory.

finally a workaround, even involving a keyboard shortcut - great! This problem bugged me for some time now and command-r never came up to me. While I don’t think that tabs are the only solution for a more intuitive user interface, pressing command-T in safari was a function I got used to right from the start (in my first DTPro sessions, I saw the fonts palette quite often, by pressing command-t…) . I am looking forward for version 2.0, glad that these issues will be adressed.

Mark

Its allways the same . Changing anthing, even to the better, always causes whining, roaring and praying. (Thats why we still have windows with 90% marketshare anywhere. And i m sure thats NOT “the better” :wink:

I agree. The best solution would be both: drawer and paletts (to select in the prefs)
that what i expect from DTP Pro Office, the most professional of all these tools, discussed here.
wolfgang
(thanks terceiro (portugues?) for the VoodoPad forum tip.

Hi, Mark. Discussions of consistency in the use of keyboard shortcuts gets tricky, as Apple often uses the same keyboard shortcut to do different things in different contexts.

So, in Cocoa-based browsers such as Safari and DEVONthink that use tabs, Command-T is used to open a new tab for a browser window.

But in Cocoa-based text editing environments such as TextEdit, DT’s text editing environment, Pages and others, Command-T invokes the Fonts panel that’s part of the OS.

Don’t expect those conventions to change in version 2.0. :slight_smile:

Apple often uses different keystrokes to do similar actions in different applications. For example, one Zooms up/down in Preview by pressing ‘Command +’ or ‘Command -’, and ‘Command 0’ to display actual size. But in Aperture Apple assigns the Z key to toggle back and forth between ‘fit window’ and ‘actual size’.

Sigh.

I have not seen any drawer yet. Where is it ?

In case it should be there (no irony) I’ll kill it. I hate drawers: they sometimes open outside of my window when I have the document in full screen. Also they really look stupid. Better is to have some sort of floating mechanism that goes inward, like the cover art view in iTunes or the calendar view in iPhoto. Also see Entourage’s source pane which moves inward or away. Very simple and more STRAIGHTFORWARD.

Most major applications go away from drawers, including Apple. Just look at Mail.app. Or can you imagine the days of StickyBrain with the drawer ? Arrgh !!

Again, I have not seen a drawer in DTP yet, but the initial poster wrote early 2007 so i don’t understand. I use DTP 1.21

Martin