Killer (?) feature request

Dear Christian,

its almost unbelievable, how good you guys listen and how fast you react :wink: However, may I modify your proposal slightly? The comment drawer alone would not suffice my needs, because as I keep adding notes, the drawer content becomes more and more confusing, because I dont know which comment belongs to which part of the main text. Therefore, I would like to ask, if you could make the drawer’s content linked to the main documents content?

Either the drawers content could be organized like a hypercard-stack, with each entry linked to the master document or like a html-document with anchors linked to the document. Also, two arrows to take you to the next/previous comment could be useful.

Thanks a lot for listening,

Daniel

Great ideas!

Maria

Christian writes:

I would be very, very, happy with this! (A comment drawer for the Vertical Split view!)

Thanks Christian,

– Paul

I guess I’m having a difficult time seeing how these separate multiple comments/notes documents would function any differently than the capabilities already within DTPro. How would they be any different from having your comments/notes in other DT documents as they currently exist (possibly in a ‘comments group’ within your ‘my current working document group’) that are linked, for example, to words, superscripts, etc., in the main document? Even if searching is the issue you would still find the comment containing the search term and from there it would be easy to know the group and the primary document with which it is associated. Am I missing something?

ChemBob

Hi Chembob,

as for the question if you were missing something…yes, maybe something like the rest of the thread? This is actually what I was talking about in several posts. Currently I am working exactly the way you sketched above, linking other rtf-documents to annotate/comment the main project. It is however a bit awkward because of several (admittedly minor) issues: Firstly, information that belongs together is stored within different documents. All the (strangely named) little note documents become confusing if they get too numerous. Especially for the AI engine which treats them as single documents, not knowing that they actually belong to a bigger main document, which is the one I might have been looking for. Also, the view of the main document is lost when opening an annotation, which may interrupt the flow of thoughts. Finally, it might be a way for users who want to feed the “knowledge” of the AI engine, to enter meta-information. Eg. if you enter the string "#meta-info: and a description of the file#, in which way you think it is important for you, the auto-classify and see-also functions would be (probably) much more accurate.

Adding to my suggestion: A two-way link would be even better: Browsing through the notes/comments (forward/backward) would accordingly scroll/jump through the main document (also something that is not quite possible with the present link-approach). This way, the comment drawer could likewise be a marker menu / structure outliner. How’s that?

Christian, I like the idea very much, especially if it is resizeable so it could be made quite large :slight_smile:

In addition, for a smaller place to add notes, I have thought that a small Comments field of one or two lines could be displayed to the left of the “Classify” button in the two split views, the 3-pane view, and the document windows… it’s kind of “wasted” screen space right now. An option to display the Comment filed in that space would be good for adding or reviewing small notes to the displayed document. But, the drawer idea should also be implemented, for larger notes…

I think that sounds like it would be most useful to many of us. :slight_smile:

A sliding drawer will be more convenient and visually appealing. Thank you!

P.S.
On a semi-related note, Jer’s Novel writer has marginalia in which you can pin a note to specific areas of text, similar to what Dr Tone mentioned.
It’s text based so there’s no fussing with intrusive stickies etc.
OMO, marginalia will be part of the next wave of writing’s future (It’s more powerful and similar to pen and paper).

I think Mellel 2.x will have columns in which marginal notes can be captured. I’ve tried to use tables in DTP in a similar manner but it’s not such a great work around.

These are great suggestions!!

Greetings all,

What I keep wishing for in regard to notes is to be able to select a bit of text, and exactly like the current feature of making a link, be able to choose in the contextual menu “Take an (rtf/plain) note.” Whereby a new rtf or plain text document is opened in a group (of my choice?) which, when edited & saved, will be linked to the selected text (perhaps two-way, as was suggested earlier).

Thus have a browseable (sp?) folder of notes, instead of having notes in the info field, which does not give my wonderful notes enough independence :wink:.

Regards,
David

I too find this discussion very interesting. I particularly appreciate Milhouse’s mention of ‘marginalia’ as useful metaphor for making notes and clarifying texts. A button added next to ‘Classify’ and ‘See Also’ opening a drawer to access the comments field would in my opinion be a wonderful addition to DT.

While I recognise the desire for a more elaborate system of annotating specific passages of text I wonder whether it might not add too much ‘bloat’ to the system… Given how much time and energy we all invest in our databases – I for one will always choose improved reliability over addtional features…

What about having the comments field/drawer support rich text?

– Paul

…with the ability to create links (wiki or fixed) :slight_smile:

I read this thread, somewhat haphazardly, as I have some of the same needs. pardon if all this has been suggested before.

If DT supported Metadata, it would be easier to cross - classify documents – and it should be available for captured html pages too.

if notes had a property(call it sticky position or whatever). You could place a sticky note in any position in any document, even a captured html page. It would remember where it was placed on the page. there could be a mini icon in the sticky which would then take you to the Note/Editing view of the note.

In otherwords, all notes could have sticky position information, allowing them to link deep into documents(including captured html).

however, they would exist as regular notes too, with all the properties of regular rtf notes.

hope this made sense.

I see the Comments pane and Notes pane (as proposed in this thread) as very separate things. I use Comments for metadata - carefully chosen words which, when searched, bring up a grouping of very specific documents. As soon as the comments pane is used for notes, its metadata function is lost (those carefully chosen words are lost in a mass of random notes). While I wholeheartedly welcome the idea of a notes drawer, I don’t want this to be amalgamated with Comments. Let’s keep ‘Notes’ and ‘Comments’ separate (and have both!)

Both thumbs up on this one. Like Bill, I’m already keeping the info panel open much of the time, but i’d prefer a drawer – preferably with multiple metadata fields, hint hint.
While you’re at it please make the “Name” field multi-lined so that it can entirely display long titles. This would allow us to keep the left hand file list relatively narrow, but still completely see and edit titles.
RTF and Links in Notes/Comments would be brilliant.
And I too would prefer separate comments and notes fields-- though for the moment I’m distinguishing between METADATA and Notes in the comments field by posting the former in upper case at the beginning of the field followed by a return and notes in lower case. This allows me to narrow my search to metadata by specifying “Exact Case” in the search.

Great workaround… thanks!