Lawyer on DT, each client as a Database?

Welcome @BillR

Did you read the Help > Documentation > Getting Started section? If not, I suggest you do.

Also check out this blog post…

Read through it. I think at the moment I’m just going to start using a little with current matters and learn as I go. At the moment, I can see that I’m really just using as a glorified finder to put files in groups, but as I learn hopefully I can start to really use this to its potential. One thing I notice- I have many files, for instance Word docs, that are redline versions of other docs, but they seem to be flagged as duplicates. The same with pdf versions of Word docs. Is there a rule I can apply to the Duplicates smart group to further filter within those search results? I looked at modifying the rule, but for now I’d rather make it a two step process.

Redlined or PDF version of a Word document would definitely be considered duplicates since the content is the same,

Enable Preferences > General > Stricter recognition of duplicates to have the app consider file size and type as well in duplicate detection.

2 Likes

LEXIS

is running some promotions and pricing is good.

National State & Federal plus Briefs & Pleadings and other addons for about $200/mo.

fyi.

Hi Sidvicious

has a decision been made about the own lawyer/DT3 blog yet? Otherwise, I will set up something an dlet you know.

Best
Steffi

1 Like

@SteffisCloud

hey man!

I’m not sure BUT to get things started I purchased;

lawyer-technology.com

to kick things off. I’ll donate them to the cause.

CAVEAT: It’s beyond my pay grade to go beyond the purchasing of the domains.

send me contact info and you can take it from here if you want to use these domains as a stand-alone site.

is it possible to PM on here? if not, I’ll submit a link were we [or anyone else] can hook up.

+1 for that; I would join!

Count me in

How do you name each client group? I am thinking of doing the same. However, I’ve always assigned case numbers by year to clients. Now I’ve had a number of them and that I’ve done several cases over the years. Do you just keep those by name or keep them fully separate by matter?

I’m not a lawyer but an advocate with about 30 cases on the go at any time and about 50 to 60 cases per year. Only a third of these end up in litigation (med/arb). I’ve been reading this thread with great interest but unfortunately I still can’t decide: one DB with groups for matters or many DB ? Lots of good points raised on both sides of the divide.

One problem that I have had with one DB (which is what I’m currently doing) is that every so often an email will be relevant to more than one matter and you cannot import an email twice. Haven’t figured that out yet, which is probably what led me to research whether a DT database per matter would be too cumbersome.

There are a few other threads by/for lawyers as you no doubt know. One was recently closed in Jan 2021, but the final post in that thread was from a medical expert offering to host a regular meeting for legal practitioners using DT. I’m not sure if this has gone anywhere but here is that thread: Using Devonthink for lawyers

After the email is imported, you can either Replicate it (wihtin the same database) or Duplicate it (within the same database or any other database).

1 Like

I put all active cases in one database where I create one folder per case and divide it into several subfolders, usually with the division client - opposing party - court - insurance - drafts. When the case is finished, I move it to an separate archive database.

The big advantage of having all active cases in one database is that after scanning new documents, the "See Also & Classify "function can be fully used. This way DTP immediately assigns the new document to the right case and there to the right subfolder. I label the files themselves beforehand using TextExpander starting with “year-month-day” - for example "2022 03 06 … ", so that I can sort the documents within the folder according to their date, regardless of the date added.

If you create a new database for each case, all databases must be open so that the “See Also & Classify” function really is a time-saving work aid. And it was this function that prompted me to file my files in DTP.

1 Like

Silly I didn’t think of that. Although right now I’ve been indexing my OneDrive case folder so that my assistant can access and monitor and rename and sort files as required. So I’m not sure if that makes a difference

But I’ve been digging into batch renaming and smart groups an am perhaps realizing that I don’t really need her to do that - which is good because I’ve always been a bit nervous about indexing folders that are in regular and active use (probably for no reason). It may just be better to export and reimport if I need her to work on a file (she is on windows unfortunately).

I very rarely have cases get too large and when they do it is because they are in active litigation. At that point I think I may just create a new database as needed for that single case with a reference link in the case file database ( ie structure is earned over time). So maybe hybrid is the better option for me.

I would not ever think of indexing for a professional case where I have an obligation to retain records.

There are gotchas which can cause you to inadvertently lose indexed files or at least lose track of them.

It’s one thing if this is for your short-term personal ideas folder - but quite another if there are professional obligations involved.

If the documents are imported into the Devonthink file then they will always be available.

Also if there may be future legal requests for production of documents, it is a whole lot simpler to just export imported items than to be concerned with the possibility that a legally discoverably document is indexed and for some reason not available.

It may just be better to export and reimport if I need her to work on a file

Bear in mind, DEVONthink allows you to import a file multiple times without overwriting.

(she is on windows unfortunately).

An Mac Mini is a very affordable option and they’re fantastic machines!

That’s a cherry little machine for what she likely needs to do.
Just a thought :slight_smile:

Ha ha, yes. You make a good point!

1 Like

okay, thanks @rkaplan . Perhaps I should get all this back into the database. I’m going to try to dig into some of this batch renaming and smart tools for renaming emails and files by date for chronologies (which is what I had my assistant doing for the most part) and see if I can’t push and improve my use use of the software.
This has been a great thread to follow. Thanks all.

2 Likes

If you should be so inclined, post a follow-up letting us know where you landed and how it’s working… and how much your assistant loves her new M1 Mac Mini :heart: :wink:

1 Like

Another lawyer here and new to DT. Would be interested in this group and best practices for using DT in the legal world.

Welcome @gwhizkids

I’m not sure if anyone has taken the reins on this or not. But the activity should pop it up on peoples’ radar in here.

1 Like