Lawyer on DT, each client as a Database?

@rkaplan

i went with the full parent import. no issues. all works fine.

i’ll read up and figure the best way to clone the DT database folder, then sync that one to the cloud. i want all of my stuff locally for the time being, but a clone in the cloud.

It’s not really possible to synch individual Groups (or folders as I think you are calling them). Only full databases. And the purpose of synching is to get the data from one device to another, and not into the Cloud. Sync is not backup if that’s what you are thinking.

If not for backup (erroneous), what is your purpose of doing this? What are you trying to achieve? What problem are you fixing?

Please clarify what you mean by this.

@BLUEFROG

what i mean is…and my language may not be academically correct …

my database will live locally.

i want an exact duplicate database to exist in another folder, and then that folder to periodically sync to the cloud.

i don’t want my working database to cloud sync or upload. i’d rather use a clone for that.

The database (.dtBase2 file) should never be put in the cloud as-is.
If you want to store something cloud-safe, e.g., a ZIP produced via File > Export > Database Archive.

However, I hope you’re not using something like that as a primary backup.

Note: Sync is ​not ​a backup, neither advertised nor advocated as such. We strongly advocate proper primary backups using TimeMachine (or similar snapshot-style backup applications) and external drives. Also, you should read the series of articles we posted:

1 Like

Too easily corrupted - with no warning until you attempt to restore it

CCC or Chronosync are way superior

1 Like

As with any software, including those you mentioned… YMMV. But generally TimeMachine has been an easy and useful backup software for many people.

1 Like

As @Bluefrog recommended, Apple’s TimeMachine is a great option to backup not only your DEVONthink database, but your entire mac.

Specifically for your “want” check out the built-in ability for DEVONthink to create a Database Archive (Menu: File → Export → Database Archive. See Page 133 of the DEVONthink Manual. Direct the zip file it creates to your “cloud” folder. then when your Cloud service (iCloud?) syncs, it will copy that file up there for you. I think that will be a better “exact duplicate but zipped” than putting the “database” into the cloud.

DEVONthink databases are actually not a single file, but an Apple OSX “package” of thousands of files that look to you as a single file. The zip archive puts all that stuff into one file which improves reliability of the archive and restore, esp for storing on Cloud services. Remember, though, nothing perfect in the world of backups, Clouds, etc.

Backup strategies has been discussed here fully, and there are plenty of reading material on the “net” giving good advice of how and where to backup.

FYI, I backup with Time Machine (a few places) and Backblaze (offsite) I also have automated doing a DEVONthink archive of one critical database to my Dropbox folder.

2 Likes

Here’s a shot of the import I did yesterday. 35 Gigs. Works fine thus far. All folders and subs are fine. Searches turn up whats expected, etc.

Keep an eye on File > Database Properties for the database. It’s generally good to stay below 250,000 items. Also on a modern machine with 8GB RAM, a comfortable top limit is 200,000,000 words and 4,000,000 unique words in a database.

1 Like

@BLUEFROG
thanks, jim. will do.

i’m on an m1 air w/ 16 gig ram.

its working the way i want and need. i need it all right there, and this allows that.

Nice!
I have an M1 Air here too. Except for the diminuitive size, it’s a beast of a machine. And that battery life! I had it 3.5 weeks on standby and it was still over 30% :flushed: (And yes, I have three other Macs to work on :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: )

2 Likes

yes!

same here. i’ve had mine about a month or so. i replaced my MBpro 15 mid 2015 machine, which i must say has been a war horse. i upgraded to 1TBSSD and maxed the ram several years ago. it has been a warrior. i retired it to my son.

the m1 is terrific and is the FIRST laptop that i’ve EVER used on battery power. its really unbelievable.

i, too, have other macs but this is my do-all-everything machine right now. i’m moving sideways soon and putting a few m1 mini’s* stationary here in the office and home. but this m1 laptop will be my world, more or less.

*will wait and see what’s up with the m2 deal we hear about. i can get by on this m1 for now.

Indeed! I have an aged Mini in need of replacement. I’ve put a pause on a purchase but would likely be happy with an M1 Mini if I can’t keep my wallet closed :wink:

And I can likely play Diablo III and World of Warcraft on an new M1 Mini quite nicely! My old Mini can’t keep up! :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Sidvicious,

I am late to this party.

My file structure is one database for all current matters, my Infobase (precedents, case notes and legislation clips), accounts, personal with completed matters archived into a yearly database.

For large matters, I will start a seperate database.

The structure of a matter database will vary depending on the matter type. Much of my work is either commercial or commercial litigation. I keep templates of different folder structures for the type of matter.

I generally import all matter related material into the relevant folder and then replicate those parts relevant to particular aspects, such as pleadings, offers, evidence, etc. By having all material at the top level of the folder I have a running chronology of the matter which can be exported to create a chronology, if required.

Happy to add to the above if it is of assistance.

2 Likes

my 2 pennies on the issue now that i’ve completed the single database import.

go for the big one. if DT will handle it, why not?

i’m in this game to save clicks. unless i’m doing something wrong, moving items from Inbox to a database requres the database to be open.

i don’t need that grief if i can avoid it. with the big base open, i’m saved that hassle, and it’s these little hassles that make or break my workflow.

i don’t have the luxury of uninterrupted work during the heat of the day, and by the time the day is over, i’m beat and not in the mood for clean up. i’ve got to be able to do housekeeping as much as can while i’m actively working.

i DO go back and clean up, BUT, i do everything i can to avoid having to do it.

so simplifying the process of moving data from one place to another is the lifeblood of these systems. if it isn’t, its not for me. tagging and linking will only go so far and i use those processes where i can. but at the end of the day, where data LIVES is key to my world.

@BLUEFROG am i off target here? making something out of nothing as far as the process i mention? is it just as easy to move from Inbox to a closed database as opposed to an open one?

Take a look at Script: Store stuff temporarily in global inbox and let it automatically move to the right database when the time has come.

Meanwhile it might be possible to do it all with Smart Rules, though.

1 Like

While there is a LOT of talk on this forum about moving data, tagging, linking, … even using some esoteric things like images in markdown documents … those are edge cases. Using multiple databases for stuff does not lead to that.

If one BIG database suits you. Go for it.

Me: I think it’s too everything. Too big. Too risky for corruption. Too long to create archive backups. Too much stuff popping up on searches that’s irrelevant (from very old files/cases still in the system … for that stuff, just don’t open the databases).

I’m not advocating one database per case/client/whatever, but the biggness of your solution just seems in place due to perceived risks which aren’t as great as perceived.

That’s my 2 pennies. If you are happy with what you got … go for it!

2 Likes

I’ve read this thread with interest, as I am also a lawyer who uses DT. Personally, I think one database per client would be way too unwieldy, at least for my use. I currently have one database for all clients/cases, and that is one main indexed folder with a subfolder for each client (there are subfolders under each client for the way I structure my cases: pleadings, discovery, doc drafts, etc.). Currently that folder is 57GB.

I find that having everything “under one roof” works best for me, as I can search across cases for relevant case law, motions, and so forth. Thus far, I can not think of any major problem I’ve ever run into, and I’ve been using this setup for a few years now. The only issue I did run into recently was the database randomly renamed itself into a file name. I had to completely wipe DTTG on the iPad and re-sync a couple times to get that fixed, but overall it’s worked out for me.

1 Like

Well, there are recommended max sizes and @BLUEFROG has already indicated that. I for one do not recommend one database per client without consideration of what the problem is, what needs to be fixed, etc. I don’t know much of that for people on this thread. I just know in my world I want to offload the old stuff, and when I want the old stuff to be integral with the current stuff, I just “open” the database and then it all acts like it’s all in one big/huge database. I think the debate of how many databases, frankly, is a bit moot–from the user perspective. Yet we can’t get away from worrying it.

The issue is really how much can the computer really handle, sync speeds/time/reliability, backup/restore resiliences, disaster recovery capability, etc. These are all the things traditionally that IT departments concerned themselves with. Now that we do our own IT, we should not forget those things else we incur the risks IT was trying to mitigate.

The technology is like magic, but not infinite and omnipotent.