Lawyer on DT, each client as a Database?

@SteffisCloud

Will do. Where to do it? reddit?

I could really dig a resource group of attorneys with a focus on tech and processes.

1 Like

Why not leave the discussion here? There are probably many lawyers here in the forum and what we all have in common is that we take DT as our starting point.

4 Likes

I was actually thinking about a Discord server. I could also do a free Slack workspace. I don’t think we need a forum, as we have plenty of those already. What do you guys think, Techie-Lawyer Discord or Slack?

@apoc527

I’m for slack.

I’m not a lawyer nor am I a big fan of slack or discord, but I’d opt for discord if I was going to occasionally crash your party :thinking::stuck_out_tongue::wink:

5 Likes

I’ll give it a few days to see if a consensus can be reached. Personally, I’m inclined towards Discord because it’s easier to manage tons of servers in Discord with folders (which Slack can’t do, AFAIK). Also, it’s more casual. BUT if no one is ON Discord, then not worth it.

It’s not very hard or very expensive to run your own Discourse forum (just like this DT3 Forum).

For anyone who regularly uses the DT3 forum, it would be trivial to check on the TechLaw forum as part of the same habit.

But Discord is different software to learn and perhaps install on your machine - I suspect inertia is such that you will get more takers/participants with Discourse than Discord

Maybe most notably - I think Discord fits better with casual discussion or a true social club rather than technical discussion which becomes a body of threads to later search for answers. Maybe your goal is mostly social - in which case Discord is great. But if you want something similar to this Forum but more focused on TechLaw in general than on just Devonthink, I would suggest a Discourse forum may be a better bet.

4 Likes

does discord or discourse provide storage?

slack does and this is a plus. seems like we could exchange templates, scripts, etc.

I’ve used slack, and just now fired it back up to manage a few cases with clients that could benefit from the slack theater. I’m relearning what it can do.

I’ve used discord before but don’t recall it being more than a messaging app. but, I just fired it up and created a server. here’s the link https://discord.gg/AhsMxxMW

here’s a link to a slack channel, just created. https://sandbox-6mg8625.slack.com/archives/C020UPALDPA

Law Issue: anyone here up on the interplay between civ rule 12 and 15? particularly a default after an amended complaint is filed?

commercial insurance policy. breach K, bad faith, civil conspiracy.

1. complaint served.
  2. mtd filed. no answer filed.
  3. response to mtd filed.
  4. amended complaint filed, served.
  5. default.
  6. motion for default filed.

[no ruling or action on mtd. amended complaint cured the mtd issues, none of which were rule 12].

the two defaulting defendants are an insurance company and its adjusting firm [separate corp]. there is a 3d instate defendant; the producing agent.

the issue will be, ironically, service and electronic filing. STATE court. defense counsel is out of state, but licensed in-state. they are filing electronically BUT they failed to properly ENTER electronically to where they get email service. STATE law says eFiling is mandatory and so is consent to service by email.

defense doesn’t know yet that my motion for default is filed.

[I’ve handled a lot of defaults over the years. I’ve had at least two affirmed on appeal. one just last month]. BUT, I’ve not had one dealing with both rule 12 and 15

Again, as the outsider, but I think @rkaplan may be onto something unless you all want a true chat experience. Due to the international nature of our business, the channel you choose would be affected by timezones (something I know all too well in support!), so perhaps a forum would be appropriate.

You can post files to either one- just like you can do here on DT3 Forum

For larger stuff it’s probably better to just post a link to Dropbox or Gdrive etc

I wouldn’t mind the Discourse forum, but I assumed it was too difficult to set up compared to Slack or Discord.

May be we get a category here :shushing_face: - what do you think @BLUEFROG would it be possible to have a section for laywers only?

@BLUEFROG (comment to your other post) not only time zones but regulations ie. privacy and all the good stuff -as here in Germany / Austria - as well need to be taken into account.

If not, we could use my forum on my blog. - could easily do a new forum for lawers only.

Best,
Steffi

no, I do not think it is difficult - it is open source and I think easily to run.

storage would not be an issue either. Just let me know

What state are you in? That might make a difference.

Good idea, for me especially because I only want to frequent as few forums as possible.

Digital Ocean specializes in facilitating inexpensive and easy Discourse instances

That said, I agree that a Category or section here may well be easier than a new Forum

1 Like

We’ll discuss the possibility internally. Thanks.

So if there is a lawyers only section created here, is there an option available in Discourse to always ignore certain sections when browsing by Latest?

You mean an option to ignore all the lawyers? Ha ha - as a lawyer I can absolutely see the attraction use case. :grin:

6 Likes