Local Storage in MacOS Documents

I have decided to take advantage of the two seat option I now have and want to sync via DropBox between my iMac and my MacBook Air.

I have just noticed, while trying to work out how to do this, that I have my local storage in my Documents folder and this is, apparently, quite dangerous.

Question 1: how do I move the folder? I know that sounds quite obvious, but I am assuming if I simply drag and drop, DT3 won’t be able to ‘find’ it.

Question 2: is about syncing with DropBox. I am going to search for the process now, but if anyone knows (a) an easy resource that explains how I do it, and (b) has hit snags that I can avoid if I know about them, I’d be grateful.

that I have my local storage in my Documents folder and this is, apparently, quite dangerous.

It is dangerous when using macOS’ disk management (which I do not have enabled here)…

We advocate using a folder in your Home directory, like ~/Databases, just in case people have this enabled or want to later.

Question 1: how do I move the folder? I know that sounds quite obvious, but I am assuming if I simply drag and drop, DT3 won’t be able to ‘find’ it.

I’m not sure what folder you’re specifically referring to, but just close the database(s) via File > Close Database, and move the .dtBase2 files in the Finder. Then just double-click them to open them in DEVONthink.

Question 2: is about syncing with DropBox. I am going to search for the process now, but if anyone knows (a) an easy resource that explains how I do it, and (b) has hit snags that I can avoid if I know about them, I’d be grateful.

Sync is a very simple process. Seeing as the documentation is also in beta testing, please review the built-in Help > Documentation > In & Out > Sync, if you would. Thanks!

1 Like

All sorted, thank you.

My pleasure :slight_smile:

Another issue has arisen. Whilst all my databases have synced with my second machine, my MacBook Air, and appear to be normal, PDFs do not show up in the viewer pane. The text flashes when the item is clicked on then the pages are all blank. I have not updated my iMac to Beta2, but I have updated my MacBook to Beta2 and it is here that I have synced from my iMac. I can open the PDFs in Acrobat and they are viewable as usual.

Are you running macOS 10.12 Sierra?

Yes

We strongly encourage you to upgrade to macOS 10.13 or higher. Sierra was a mess, full of bugs, especially regarding PDFs.

Sure thing. Will do.