Location Services Pop Up on launch

Every time I launch DevonThink To Go, I get the pop up “Turn on Location Services to allow “DevonThink” to determine your location.” I don’t want this feature, so I choose cancel. But next time I launch DevonThink To Go, the pop up appears again. I have Location Services turned off on my iPad. I don’t want to turn it on. Please help.

You should file it as a bug report.

As a side note, I don’t think that the developers are very saavy about their use of location services in this app:

1. It’s the only app I’ve used, besides the built-in map application, that doesn’t ask for permission to use my location. I didn’t even think that was possible – I thought it was enforced by the O/S.

2. It leaves the GPS on for the entire time DT is open.

To clarify a few points in this discussion:

1. We appreciate that this poster is annoyed by the Operating Systems pop-up message, but it also confirms that we always ask (as it is enforced by the OS) for your location information.
  2. Geo-tagging is a feature of our DTTG product. That is why we start location based services (GPS) at application launch. All location-based iOS applications start up location services at launch, just like DTTG. We could provide a preference setting for persistently turning off location services (GPS, if you will). If that appears to be a popular feature request, it will be implemented in an upcoming release of the product.
  3. There is an “urban myth” about GPS/location services being a drain on battery resources. The GPS chip uses a tiny fraction of the power consumed by the WiFi radio, and anyone who makes extensive use of turn-by-turn navigation apps on the iPhone can attest to the fact that enabling GPS for hours does not produce a noticeable drain on the battery (again, infinitesimal compared to the radios). The reason we leave location services enabled (since they don’t have a degrading effect on the device) is that there is a high latency in getting location information when you turn GPS on and off (high in computer terms meaning seconds). We could be ‘smarter’ about turning on and off GPS, but no matter how ‘smart’ we get, it is guaranteed that some, possibly most documents will end up being improperly location tagged. Note that iOS apps that use that approach have extremely high negative reviews on inaccurate location - and while beta testing we found the same results when we enabled/disabled location services.

Mike,

With regard to the “urban myth”:

I wonder where this “urban myth” could have come from?

(via apple.com/batteries/iphone.html )

I’m sure that you guys have researched this during the beta period, and it wouldn’t surprise me that Apple’s consumer-facing information is incorrect. But simply pretending that it’s not there, rather than acknowledging and addressing it directly, is kind of silly.

In MY experience, your app works differently than the other 170 apps on my phone in ways that stick out and that Apple says is bad. Time will tell and I’m looking forward to seeing your hard work (on more pressing issues, I’m sure) in the next update.

Apple seems to say a lot of things these days. http://www.devon-technologies.com/scripts/userforum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12055&p=56648#p56639

This Apple guideline dates to the first release of the iPhone, and it was true at that time. Then again, turning on WiFi would run down your battery in 15 minutes.
Again, we are considering making this a user-selectable option. Please note that this would disable geo-tagging of data in DTTG, but that ability appears to be a feature of lesser importance to the posters on this subject.

Stating the obvious, our application has passed Apple’s review process. This is not a stamp of approval on Apple’s part, but then again Apple did ask us to improve/address areas that actually did not meet their standards during the initial review process. If you feel there are any areas “that stick out and that Apple says is bad”, please file a bug report. This is the first release of our first iOS application, and we will strive to continue making this application better. The better part means “better for customers,” and your feedback is very important to us. Filing bug reports is the best way to communicate specific issues, concerns, and feature requests.

Thanks, Mike. This is what I wanted to hear. So what you’re saying is that the impact of location services on battery life is not an urban myth, but is simply outdated information that is, sadly, still available from Apple website. THAT I’m willing to believe.