Looking for the best of all possible worlds to integrate DTTG with DTPro and multiple databases

Hi,
I’m moving from multiple platforms for digitally storing documents for my private, business and research activities, including scanned documents, PDFs, emails, SMS, photos, and web-captured HTML documents.
As context, I need and want to separate private, business and research from each other. I’ve already for years had multiple research DTPro databases. Now, I’m switching to DTTG and looking to set up a simple and reliable way to capture documents in DTTG and DTPro and as much as possible automate the capture and “filing” process. I’ll always need to check and add tags.
Question 1) I plan to create a private and business DTPro database and capture materials into the appropriate DTPro database. For that approach, how do I set up DTTG to capture material and allow me to put it in the proper database on a sync? I hope this is easy, and my cluttered mind is not letting me see the forest for all the trees.
Is there an alternative that is simple and (even partially) automatable in DTTG and DTPro?
Question 2) How can I approach automation in DTTG? I don’t want to tangle with scripts, but are there better ways? A use case for me would be a process in DTTG to automatically route tax documents for different properties into the correct databases, including setting some tag values based on text in the documents and verified by me.

What else should I be thinking about (trying to see the forest, not put more trees in my way :wink:

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
Francis

Question 1) I plan to create a private and business DTPro database and capture materials into the appropriate DTPro database. For that approach, how do I set up DTTG to capture material and allow me to put it in the proper database on a sync?

As has been mentioned many times, the first question you need to ask yourself is, “Do I need a remote sync option?”. Consider these questions…

• Do you have a colleague, assistant, significant other, etc. that needs frequent updates to synced data?
  • Are you using a shallow sync, i.e., Download Files: On demand in DEVONthink To Go?

If the answer is no to either question, a local sync on your network is suggested.

There is a forum post on syncing: Sync Types Explained. This is a good place to start.
There is also one specifically about Bonjour: Bonjour Simplified

Question 2) How can I approach automation in DTTG? I don’t want to tangle with scripts, but are there better ways? A use case for me would be a process in DTTG to automatically route tax documents for different properties into the correct databases, including setting some tag values based on text in the documents and verified by me.

Automation on Apple mobile is very limited compared to what can be done on a Mac. That being said, some opportunities exist with DEVONthink To Go’s support for Apple Shortcuts. However, the usefulness depends on the situation and requirements of the automated process. So you’d need to provide concrete problems to solve.

2 Likes

These are separate functions for me; Capture and Process
For Capture, I rely on the Global Inbox
It’s also set up for access via the Files app

My Process function is done on a Mac; with the Inbox cleared daily
I use an Applescript to simplify and automate the process

Since I frequently travel, based on my interpretation of “remote sync” and what your 2021 post explains about conditions for using Bonjour, I’d say yes, I should use the remote sync option.
A concrete “problem” I’ll have is that I can be travelling for 15 days, have many new documents in DTTG and need to synchronise with DTPro on my MacBook Pro when I am in a location with sufficient wireless capacity.

Where can I get more information about accessing the Global Inbox through the Files app?
I’d like to avoid Applescript–too complex for me and my time budget right now. Any experience with Automator?

A concrete “problem” I’ll have is that I can be travelling for 15 days, have many new documents in DTTG and need to synchronise with DTPro on my MacBook Pro when I am in a location with sufficient wireless capacity.

I traveled for four months and synced via Bonjour between iPhone and iPad and MacBook. I obviously synced with other methods for support purposes.

You don’t need wireless capacity. You can sync by wire in the situations that warrant it. Public coffee shops and restaurants usually prohibit such traffic. Also, it’s just generally a safer and more private option IMO.

Try looking in the documentation for DEVONthink ToGo and/or just try it for yourself and see what happens.

2 Likes

Where can I get more information about accessing the Global Inbox through the Files app?

Can you clarify why you’d want to do this?

I’d like to avoid Applescript–too complex for me and my time budget right now. Any experience with Automator?

Neither AppleScript nor Automator run on Apple’s mobile platform. That’s why I mentioned Apple Shortcuts.

Launch the Files app; click on … at the top; then Edit Sidebar

Under Locations, you’ll see items that can be enabled

Thanks!

True, I don’t need wireless capacity But I’m used to it and, more importantly, its availability has become the norm for me. There is almost a philosophical question here: should I have multiple ways of syncing? Practically, I’d not want the added complexity.
Thanks for the thoughts. I’ll look into it more.

2 Likes