Looks like I'm still having trouble with PDF's

I got Devonthink installed on my new Mac studio and everything is really flying.

That said, it looks like PDFs are still a problem.

I have tried highlighting a bunch of text in a document and it often returns gibberish.

Attached is an example. I tried to export the highlights and this is what I got.

Mainly gibberish.

Affirmations

Page 7

􏰭􏰊􏰙􏰓􏰞 􏰬􏰗􏰜 􏰛􏰞􏰧􏰞􏰕 􏰖􏰞􏰗􏰛􏰘 􏰘􏰚 􏰳􏰞 􏰗 􏰜􏰘􏰕􏰣􏰥􏰥􏰢􏰞􏱋 􏱌􏰣􏰜􏰘 􏰗 􏰥􏰞􏰛􏰘􏰢􏰞 􏰪􏰕􏰚􏰥􏰕􏰞􏰜􏰜􏰙􏰚􏰛 􏰓􏰕􏰚􏰖 􏰚􏰛􏰞 􏰪􏰚􏰙􏰛􏰘 􏰘􏰚 􏰗􏰛􏰚􏰘􏰝􏰞􏰕􏰵 􏰖􏰣􏰠􏰝 􏰢􏰙􏰤􏰞 􏰬􏰗􏰢􏰤􏰙􏰛􏰥 􏰘􏰝􏰕􏰚􏰣􏰥􏰝 􏰗 􏰧􏰗􏰢􏰢􏰞􏰦 􏰚􏰛 􏰗 􏰜􏰣􏰛􏰛􏰦 􏰯􏰗􏰦􏰽􏰮 􏱄 􏰃􏰘􏰣􏰗􏰕􏰘 􏰈􏰙􏰢􏰯􏰞

Page 19

Over the years I have developed an alternative philosophy which I call SWAP (Stuart Wilde’s Alternative Philosophy). It is based on my experiences in the light and is underpinned by my knowledge of the world we live in.

Basically, life was never meant to be a struggle. Yet everything is designed to control us and to limit us.

The light (which is truth) is not visible to us, so we make up rules and regulations, partly in an effort to process fear, and partly in the hope that we will somehow charm the light into our life. In doing so, we restrict ourselves terribly, for the light does not come out of do’s and don’ts—its currency is absolute forgiveness, unbounded compassion, endless patience, and love. It expresses this love for us by honoring us in leaving us alone, to be as silly as we want for as long as we want.

Life inside the Circle of life is one of restriction and manipulation, and it is through these lessons that we learn to go beyond struggle.

Once we discover the power of the light, and providing we do not wrap it in endless mumbo jumbo, we create for ourselves an alternative evolution, one that takes emotion out of the physical plane to a point where we can control our own destiny.

Page 20

The metaphysics of this power and these inner worlds is the last known boundary for mankind. Once a person discovers the true nature of reality, he or she can rightly affirm, “My expectations are truly limitless.”

The function of this book, Affirmations, is not to give you nice words to say to yourself; rather, it is to give you a fast track beyond struggle, through understanding the wider meaning of consciousness and reality, thus bringing you into the light.

I am eternal, immortal, universal, and infinite. My expectations are truly limitless.

Page 21

􏰡􏰍􏰃􏰄 􏰍􏰟 􏰘􏰝􏰞 􏰚􏰕􏰥􏰗􏰛􏰙􏱃􏰗􏰘􏰙􏰚􏰛􏰜 􏰗􏰛􏰯 􏰜􏰘􏰕􏰣􏰠􏰘􏰣􏰕􏰞􏰜 􏰙􏰛 􏰘􏰝􏰞 􏰬􏰚􏰕􏰢􏰯 􏰗􏰕􏰚􏰣􏰛􏰯 􏰦􏰚􏰣 􏰗􏰕􏰞 􏰯􏰞􏰜􏰙􏰥􏰛􏰞􏰯 􏰘􏰚 􏰘􏰗􏰤􏰞 􏰗􏰬􏰗􏰦 􏰦􏰚􏰣􏰕 􏰙􏰛􏰯􏰙􏰧􏰙􏰯􏰣􏰗􏰢 􏰪􏰚􏰬􏰞􏰕􏰽 􏰄􏰝􏰙􏰜 􏰳􏰚􏰚􏰤 􏰜􏰞􏰕􏰧􏰞􏰜 􏰗􏰜 􏰗 􏰖􏰗􏰥􏰛􏰙􏰔􏰠􏰞􏰛􏰘 􏰗􏰛􏰯 􏰯􏰞􏰧􏰗􏰜􏰘􏰗􏰘􏰙􏰛􏰥 􏰳􏰗􏰘􏰘􏰢􏰞 􏰪􏰢􏰗􏰛􏰵 􏰬􏰝􏰞􏰕􏰞􏰳􏰦 􏰦􏰚􏰣 􏰬􏰙􏰢􏰢 􏰢􏰞􏰗􏰕􏰛 􏰘􏰚 􏰞􏰰􏰪􏰗􏰛􏰯 􏰦􏰚􏰣􏰕 􏰪􏰞􏰕􏰜􏰚􏰛􏰗􏰢 􏰪􏰚􏰬􏰞􏰕 􏰗􏰛􏰯 􏰬􏰙􏰛 􏰳􏰗􏰠􏰤 􏰗􏰳􏰜􏰚􏰢􏰣􏰘􏰞 􏰠􏰚􏰛􏰘􏰕􏰚􏰢 􏰚􏰓 􏰦􏰚􏰣􏰕 􏰢􏰙􏰓􏰞􏰽

􏰀􏰣􏰘 􏰦􏰚􏰣􏰕 􏰭􏰪􏰚􏰬􏰞􏰕􏰻􏰜􏰣􏰕􏰥􏰞􏰮 􏰠􏰗􏰛􏰛􏰚􏰘 􏰳􏰞 􏰗􏰠􏰝􏰙􏰞􏰧􏰞􏰯 􏰘􏰝􏰕􏰚􏰣􏰥􏰝 􏰠􏰚􏰛􏰓􏰕􏰚􏰛􏰘􏰗􏰘􏰙􏰚􏰛􏰽 􏰑􏰚􏰘􏰝􏰙􏰛􏰥 􏰞􏰧􏰞􏰕 􏰠􏰚􏰖􏰞􏰜 􏰓􏰕􏰚􏰖 􏰳􏰢􏰚􏰬􏰙􏰛􏰥 􏰣􏰪 􏰘􏰝􏰞 􏰄􏰚􏰬􏰛 􏰏􏰗􏰢􏰢􏰽 􏰄􏰝􏰞 􏰜􏰗􏰥􏰞􏰿􏰜 􏰬􏰗􏰦 􏰙􏰜 􏰘􏰚 􏰯􏰙􏰜􏰠􏰙􏰪􏰢􏰙􏰛􏰞 􏰝􏰙􏰖􏰜􏰞􏰢􏰓 􏰗􏰛􏰯 􏰘􏰚 􏰘􏰗􏰤􏰞 􏰳􏰗􏰠􏰤 􏰝􏰙􏰜 􏰪􏰚􏰬􏰞􏰕􏰵 􏰘􏰝􏰞􏰛 􏰬􏰗􏰙􏰘 􏰬􏰝􏰙􏰢􏰞 􏰘􏰝􏰞 􏰜􏰦􏰜􏰘􏰞􏰖 􏰞􏰰􏰝􏰗􏰣􏰜􏰘􏰜 􏰙􏰘􏰜􏰞􏰢􏰓􏱄􏰬􏰝􏰙􏰠􏰝 􏰙􏰘 􏰬􏰙􏰢􏰢􏰽 􏰄􏰝􏰞 􏰪􏰚􏰬􏰞􏰕 􏰳􏰕􏰚􏰤􏰞􏰕􏰜 􏰚􏰓 􏰘􏰝􏰞 􏰬􏰚􏰕􏰢􏰯 􏰝􏰗􏰧􏰞 􏰠􏰕􏰞􏰗􏰘􏰞􏰯 􏰗 􏰜􏰦􏰜􏰘􏰞􏰖 􏰘􏰝􏰗􏰘 􏰙􏰜 􏰠􏰗􏰕􏰞􏰞􏰛􏰙􏰛􏰥 􏰚􏰣􏰘 􏰚􏰓 􏰠􏰚􏰛􏰘􏰕􏰚􏰢􏰽 􏰉􏰛 􏰗􏰛 􏰗􏰘􏰘􏰞􏰖􏰪􏰘 􏰘􏰚 􏰞􏰛􏰜􏰢􏰗􏰧􏰞 􏰘􏰝􏰞 􏰬􏰚􏰕􏰢􏰯 􏰙􏰛 􏰯􏰞􏰳􏰘􏰵 􏰘􏰝􏰞􏰦 􏰝􏰗􏰧􏰞 􏰪􏰕􏰙􏰛􏰘􏰞􏰯 􏰜􏰚 􏰖􏰣􏰠􏰝 􏰪􏰝􏰚􏰛􏰦 􏰪􏰗􏰪􏰞􏰕 􏰖􏰚􏰛􏰞􏰦 􏰘􏰝􏰗􏰘 􏰘􏰝􏰞 􏰜􏰦􏰜􏰘􏰞􏰖 􏰙􏰜 􏰚􏰛 􏰘􏰝􏰞 􏰧􏰞􏰕􏰥􏰞 􏰚􏰓 􏰓􏰗􏰢􏰢􏰙􏰛􏰥 􏰗􏰪􏰗􏰕􏰘􏰽 􏰍􏰛􏰠􏰞 􏰘􏰝􏰗􏰘 􏰝􏰗􏰪􏰪􏰞􏰛􏰜􏰵 􏰘􏰝􏰙􏰛􏰥􏰜 􏰬􏰙􏰢􏰢 􏰠􏰝􏰗􏰛􏰥􏰞 􏰓􏰚􏰕 􏰘􏰝􏰞 􏰳􏰞􏰘􏰘􏰞􏰕􏰒 􏰄􏰝􏰞 􏰙􏰛􏰯􏰙􏰧􏰙􏰯􏰣􏰗􏰢 􏰬􏰙􏰢􏰢 􏰝􏰗􏰧􏰞 􏰝􏰙􏰜 􏰯􏰗􏰦􏱋 􏰗􏰛􏰯 􏰘􏰝􏰞 􏰙􏰛􏰘􏰣􏰙􏰘􏰙􏰧􏰞􏰵 􏰢􏰚􏰧􏰙􏰛􏰥􏰵 􏰗􏰛􏰯 􏰠􏰗􏰕􏰙􏰛􏰥 􏰪􏰞􏰚􏰪􏰢􏰞 􏰬􏰙􏰢􏰢 􏰙􏰛􏰝􏰞􏰕􏰙􏰘 􏰘􏰝􏰞 􏰞􏰗􏰕􏰘􏰝􏰽

Page 22

􏰆􏰢􏰢 􏰦􏰚􏰣 􏰝􏰗􏰧􏰞 􏰘􏰚 􏰯􏰚 􏰙􏰜 􏰬􏰗􏰙􏰘 􏰗􏰛􏰯 􏰬􏰚􏰕􏰤 􏰚􏰛 􏰦􏰚􏰣􏰕􏰜􏰞􏰢􏰓 􏰙􏰛 􏰘􏰝􏰞 􏰖􏰞􏰗􏰛􏰘􏰙􏰖􏰞􏰽 􏰄􏰝􏰙􏰜 􏰳􏰚􏰚􏰤 􏰚􏰣􏰘􏰢􏰙􏰛􏰞􏰜 􏰦􏰚􏰣􏰕 􏰳􏰗􏰘􏰘􏰢􏰞 􏰪􏰢􏰗􏰛 􏰘􏰝􏰕􏰚􏰣􏰥􏰝 􏰝􏰞􏰙􏰥􏰝􏰘􏰞􏰛􏰞􏰯 􏰪􏰞􏰕􏰠􏰞􏰪􏰘􏰙􏰚􏰛􏰵 􏰯􏰙􏰜􏰠􏰙􏰪􏰢􏰙􏰛􏰞􏰵 􏰠􏰚􏰣􏰕􏰗􏰥􏰞􏰵 􏰗􏰛􏰯 􏰯􏰞􏰘􏰞􏰕􏰖􏰙􏰛􏰗􏰘􏰙􏰚􏰛􏰽 􏰄􏰝􏰕􏰚􏰣􏰥􏰝 􏰙􏰘 􏰦􏰚􏰣 􏰠􏰗􏰛 􏰠􏰕􏰞􏰗􏰘􏰞 􏰘􏰝􏰗􏰘 􏰠􏰚􏰖􏰖􏰗􏰛􏰯􏰙􏰛􏰥􏰵 􏰘􏰕􏰗􏰛􏰜􏰠􏰞􏰛􏰯􏰞􏰛􏰘 􏰳􏰞􏰙􏰛􏰥 􏰘􏰝􏰗􏰘 􏰠􏰗􏰢􏰢􏰜 􏰘􏰚 􏰦􏰚􏰣 􏰜􏰚 􏰢􏰚􏰛􏰥􏰙􏰛􏰥􏰢􏰦 􏰓􏰕􏰚􏰖 􏰬􏰙􏰘􏰝􏰙􏰛 􏰦􏰚􏰣􏰕􏰜􏰞􏰢􏰓􏰽

􏰄􏰝􏰞􏰕􏰞 􏰗􏰕􏰞 􏰓􏰚􏰣􏰕 􏰖􏰗􏰙􏰛 􏰘􏰦􏰪􏰞􏰜 􏰚􏰓 􏰗􏰓􏰔􏰕􏰖􏰗􏰘􏰙􏰚􏰛􏰜􏰒 􏰗􏰓􏰔􏰕􏰖􏰗􏰘􏰙􏰚􏰛􏰜 􏰚􏰓 􏰬􏰚􏰕􏰯􏰵 􏰗􏰓􏰔􏰕􏰖􏰗􏰘􏰙􏰚􏰛􏰜 􏰚􏰓 􏰘􏰝􏰚􏰣􏰥􏰝􏰘􏰵 􏰗􏰓􏰔􏰕􏰖􏰗􏰘􏰙􏰚􏰛􏰜 􏰚􏰓 􏰓􏰞􏰞􏰢􏰙􏰛􏰥􏰵 􏰗􏰛􏰯 􏰗􏰓􏰔􏰕􏰖􏰗􏰘􏰙􏰚􏰛􏰜 􏰚􏰓 􏰗􏰠􏰘􏰙􏰚􏰛􏰽 􏰆􏰛 􏰗􏰓􏰔􏰕􏰖􏰗􏰘􏰙􏰚􏰛 􏰙􏰜􏰵 􏰙􏰛 􏰞􏰓􏰓􏰞􏰠􏰘􏰵 􏰗 􏰜􏰘􏰗􏰘􏰞􏰖􏰞􏰛􏰘 􏰞􏰙􏰘􏰝􏰞􏰕 􏰚􏰓 􏰬􏰚􏰕􏰯􏰵 􏰘􏰝􏰚􏰣􏰥􏰝􏰘􏰵 􏰓􏰞􏰞􏰢􏰙􏰛􏰥􏰵 􏰚􏰕 􏰗􏰠􏰘􏰙􏰚􏰛 􏰘􏰝􏰗􏰘 􏰣􏰛􏰯􏰞􏰕􏰢􏰙􏰛􏰞􏰜 􏰚􏰕 􏰠􏰚􏰛􏰔􏰕􏰖􏰜 􏰗 􏰳􏰞􏰢􏰙􏰞􏰓 􏰪􏰗􏰘􏰘􏰞􏰕􏰛 􏰘􏰝􏰗􏰘 􏰦􏰚􏰣 􏰝􏰚􏰢􏰯􏰽 􏰄􏰝􏰞􏰕􏰞 􏰗􏰕􏰞 􏰛􏰞􏰥􏰗􏰘􏰙􏰧􏰞 􏰗􏰓􏰔􏰕􏰖􏰗􏰘􏰙􏰚􏰛􏰜 􏰗􏰛􏰯 􏰪􏰚􏰜􏰙􏰘􏰙􏰧􏰞 􏰗􏰓􏰔􏰕􏰖􏰗􏰘􏰙􏰚􏰛􏰜􏰽 􏰄􏰝􏰙􏰜 􏰳􏰚􏰚􏰤 􏰙􏰜 􏰓􏰚􏰕 􏰘􏰝􏰚􏰜􏰞 􏰬􏰝􏰚 􏰬􏰗􏰛􏰘 􏰘􏰚 􏰯􏰞􏰧􏰞􏰢􏰚􏰪 􏰗􏰛􏰯 􏰢􏰞􏰗􏰕􏰛 􏰝􏰚􏰬 􏰘􏰚 􏰣􏰜􏰞 􏰗􏰓􏰔􏰕􏰖􏰗􏰘􏰙􏰚􏰛􏰜 􏰘􏰚 􏰖􏰚􏰢􏰯 􏰕􏰞􏰗􏰢􏰙􏰘􏰦 􏰘􏰚 􏰜􏰣􏰙􏰘 􏰘􏰝􏰞􏰙􏰕 􏰪􏰚􏰜􏰙􏰘􏰙􏰧􏰞 􏰞􏰛􏰯􏰜􏰽

􏰁􏰚􏰣􏰕 􏰕􏰞􏰗􏰢􏰙􏰘􏰦􏰵 􏰘􏰝􏰞 􏰜􏰙􏰘􏰣􏰗􏰘􏰙􏰚􏰛􏰜 􏰗􏰕􏰚􏰣􏰛􏰯 􏰦􏰚􏰣􏰵 􏰗􏰛􏰯 􏰘􏰝􏰞 􏰞􏰧􏰞􏰛􏰘􏰜 􏰚􏰓 􏰦􏰚􏰣􏰕 􏰢􏰙􏰓􏰞 􏰗􏰕􏰞 􏰠􏰕􏰞􏰗􏰘􏰞􏰯 􏰳􏰦 􏰘􏰝􏰞 􏰞􏰛􏰞􏰕􏰥􏰦 􏰚􏰓 􏰦􏰚􏰣􏰕 􏰙􏰛􏰛􏰞􏰕 􏰳􏰞􏰙􏰛􏰥􏰽 􏰄􏰝􏰗􏰘 􏰙􏰛􏰛􏰞􏰕 􏰳􏰞􏰙􏰛􏰥 􏰙􏰜 􏰳􏰣􏰙􏰢􏰘 􏰚􏰓 􏰧􏰗􏰕􏰙􏰚􏰣􏰜 􏰓􏰗􏰠􏰘􏰚􏰕􏰜􏰵 􏰙􏰛􏰠􏰢􏰣􏰯􏰙􏰛􏰥 􏰞􏰧􏰞􏰕􏰦 􏰘􏰝􏰚􏰣􏰥􏰝􏰘􏰵 􏰓􏰞􏰞􏰢􏰙􏰛􏰥􏰵 􏰗􏰛􏰯 􏰗􏰠􏰘􏰙􏰚􏰛 􏰦􏰚􏰣 􏰝􏰗􏰧􏰞 􏰞􏰧􏰞􏰕 􏰳􏰞􏰞􏰛 􏰗 􏰪􏰗􏰕􏰘 􏰚􏰓􏰽 􏰁􏰚􏰣􏰕 􏰙􏰛􏰛􏰞􏰕 􏰳􏰞􏰙􏰛􏰥 􏰙􏰜 􏰜􏰘􏰕􏰚􏰛􏰥 􏰚􏰕 􏰬􏰞􏰗􏰤 􏰯􏰞􏰪􏰞􏰛􏰯􏰙􏰛􏰥 􏰚􏰛 􏰝􏰚􏰬 􏰦􏰚􏰣 􏰓􏰞􏰞􏰢 􏰗􏰳􏰚􏰣􏰘 􏰦􏰚􏰣􏰕􏰜􏰞􏰢􏰓 􏰗􏰛􏰯 􏰚􏰛 􏰝􏰚􏰬 􏰦􏰚􏰣 􏰣􏰛􏰯􏰞􏰕􏰜􏰘􏰗􏰛􏰯 􏰘􏰝􏰞 􏰛􏰗􏰘􏰣􏰕􏰞 􏰚􏰓 􏰞􏰛􏰞􏰕􏰥􏰦 􏰗􏰛􏰯 􏰖􏰞􏰘􏰗􏰪􏰝􏰦􏰜􏰙􏰠􏰗􏰢 􏰕􏰞􏰗􏰢􏰙􏰘􏰦􏰽

Looks like a corrupted text layer on certain pages, hard to tell whether this was caused by highlighting (due to PDFKit issues) or already present from the beginning. Do you still have the original?

Yes I have the original.

Are usually remove the protection from kindle books so that I can maintain my own back up. I have lost a number of them that I purchased and then Amazon decided in their wisdom that they were no longer going to be made available and removed them from me. But they did not reimburse me.

So I routinely save them in a way that enables me to ensure they will not be taken for me again.

This may not be a popular opinion. But I will not tolerate this kind of thing. If I buy some thing, I intend to keep it regardless of whether they decided should no longer be available or not.

So I am reticent to post it here. But I would be happy to send it to you for evaluation if you give me an email.

By the way, it does work very well with the program Highlights and it also works with Skim. In either one, I can make highlights or notes and then separate them from the document just fine with no gibberish.

1 Like

Just open a support ticket, ZIP and attach the file.

As far as I remember Skim stores the annotations as extended attributes but they’re not part of the PDF. Or do Quick Look & Preview show the annotations added by Skim?

In the PDF that I sent to support?

If so, try saving the document and then re-opening it and see if they still show up without gibberish. I’m using Highlights for this primarily. The program. But I also have Skim.

When I initially made the highlights in Highlight, I could clearly see all of them with no problem. Then I save the document and re-opened it and they turned into gibberish.

That’s usually the moment when PDFkit issues become obvious. While editing the text layer is still correct but not anymore after saving and reopening.

Did you actually edit this document using DEVONthink at all?

1 Like

I didn’t edit, I did make highlights. That just returned gibberish. But I was able to get the exact same document to work using Skim.

So for now, I guess I can just use Skim as long as I’m on my desktop and then save the Highlights to an additional file and import it into Devonthink. I really wish it worked in Devonthink though.

But which app did you use initially for highlighting before switching to Skim? DEVONthink or Highlights?

The next release will include a workaround that will make such issues less likely. The funny thing is that in this case viewing (yes, viewing) corrupted the text layer, not adding/editing annotations. Now how do you safely annotate/edit a document without viewing it? :thinking::joy: