Luddite newbie here, no longer able to filter duplicates

So when I first started DTP3 a week ago, the system magically removed duplicates for me
and I was busy tearing through my old, cluttered Evernote and Mac files,
on a removal bender.

Then I pressed index instead of import and spent the next few days laboriously deleting and rebuilding - all of which is to say that I really don’t organically get how these programs work,
so I need the instructions to be very basic.
I have read through the various forums here about applying smart rule formulas to older versions of DTP, and I don’t know if the info is now redundant b/c of the app upgrade, but even if it isn’t
I find the instructions as to how to create a smart group not synonymous with the smart group rules that I pull up when I click create smart group!

The “filter duplicate” function no longer seems to work for me -
I have tried applying it to various databes, singly, in batches, etc. I have even tried to apply it to a group of notes and it won’t work.

Clearly I have done something to change this function, so my question is:
how do I change it back so that duplicates are once again effortlessly removed to a smart group I can then review?

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Welcome @PaperandPen

I find the instructions as to how to create a smart group not synonymous with the smart group rules that I pull up when I click create smart group!

Can you clarify what this means and where you’re looking?

The “filter duplicate” function no longer seems to work for me -

A screen capture of the settings of the smart rule could be helpful.

Thank you Bluefrog for your welcome & quick response!

So perhaps the issue is that I simply don’t know how to create a smart group correctly,
or use the duplicates correctly. But as a concrete example I am attaching two screenshots, the first of supposed number of duplicates within a specific database, here supposedly 0,
and the second demonstrating that there were several other duplicate files within that database that were not filtered as duplicates.

Thank you!

Bumping this up because even though I am sure there is a very obvious solution, it is not obvious to me! I am still having the same problem using smartgroups to filter duplicates.

I have two groups in the same database with substantially the same notes within each group folder. I have tried using the Tools functions “Apply Rules” Filter Duplicates, and “Perform Rules” filter duplicates to no effect.

I have ensured that my Preferences General page is checked for “Stricter recogniztion of Duplicates” and I have done so while in the database itself.

But clearly there is a step I am missing!

Attaching screenshot below - all advice welcome! Thank you!

This works very well…
Is it possible that the selected database in “Search in:” is not the correct one?

1 Like

Yes, what is the smart group criteria?

Thank you Ngan for your very specific & helpful example of a useful smart group.
Bluefrog, I was relying on DevonThink’s pre-existing Duplicate smart group criteria.

I tried Ngan’s suggestion & unfortunately it didn’t work for me -
and I noticed that the DTP auto-created duplicate smartgroups filtering duplicates were working in other databases. The files in question were imported from Evernote - two notebooks with Evernote created individual notes that were mostly duplicates. They are now two groups within the same database. Is it possible that the Evernote individual file format can’t be read by DevonThinkPro when the files are part of a larger EN notebook?

Is it possible that the Evernote individual file format can’t be read by DevonThinkPro when the files are part of a larger EN notebook?

The imported Evernote notes are merely formatted notes. Show the Tools > Inspectors > Info inspector. Is this enclosing group set to Exclude from Search?

Hi BLUEFROG,

OK, I pulled up the smart group Info Inspector & set the enclosing group -
which I assumed was my larger database @Goals -
to Exclude from Search.
Still no duplicates.
Then I tried to run it without the Exclude from Search cecked, still no dupes.

I am clearly missing something b/c dupliates are popping up in other databases,
though not through any cleverness of mine but rather the pre-existingDevonThinkPro smart group.

I pulled up the smart group Info Inspector & set the enclosing group -
which I assumed was my larger database @Goals -
to Exclude from Search.

No, you should check this on the other groups, like the @Goals and @Goals1 groups shown above the smart group.

OK, thanks for your patience.
So I tried … created a smart group for Duplicates as per Ngan
for the database @Goals and the Groups @Goals1 and @Goals2,
went into the Info Inspector and checked exclude from search,
but even though I set up a smart group for each of the groups separately,
the location still shows up as the Database 2Goals (b/c it is the umbrella entity for all of the groups?). Enclosing photos to clarify (I hope!).

checked exclude from search

:slight_smile:
You are excluding the smart group again.

Also, you DON’T want to exclude the groups from search or they won’t show their results in a smart group.

Select the @Goals1 group and make sure Exclude from: Search is NOT checked. You can select more than one group and enable or disable this option.

1 Like

So IRL I am considered a relatively intelligent person but here I feel utterly stupid! It’s like this is an entirely different language that I can’t get!

I now understand that I should make sure that Exclude from: Search is NOT checked.

BUT I still don’t understand how I am excluding the smart group? And I also don’t understand how I can select more than one group - when I pull up the smart group box it only lets me search in one place - here I entered @Goals1 group and it still showed up in the Inspector Info as @Goals Database.

New smart group form

You can’t target more than one group, unless they were subgroups of a group. You could then target the parents group and it would include the subgroups in a search.
If you set this dropdown to Database it will check for duplicates in the entire database.

1 Like

Right, I knew that - at least at the beginning of this process!
So here is the the thing:
I set up my smart group to seach for duplicates in my database which is @Goals.
Both @Goals2 and @Goals2 are Groups within @Goals - they each contain mostly the same content,
in the exact same format (Evernote individual files).
I then execute (I think1) the smart group and check the Inspector -
and yet still no joy!
And mysteriously, I now have no other duplicates showing up in any of my other databse smart groups
(which were auto-generated by the DevonThinkPro 3 system)
which seems very unlikely.
I am a Luddite but usually not this much of one!
Attaching more screenshots for your enjoyment!!
Thank you for your patience.
Setting%20up%20Smart%20Group%20to%20search%20for%20Dupes%20within%20Database|690x431

My overall skill set seems to be degrading … now having problems uploading the screenshots!
This one shows how I set up the Smart Group for the database that enclosed the two sub groups which contain duplicates.

Setting%20up%20Smart%20Group%20to%20search%20for%20Dupes%20within%20Database|690x431

No worries! Hold the Option key and choose Help > Report bug to start a support ticket and we can dig a bit deeper.

1 Like

Thank you!!!
Will do!