MacOS Beta 10.2.2 – DEVONthink crashes when opening PDF

First of all, this is not a complaint. I am a big boy and I knew what could happen when you install a beta. So …

I did install the latest beta of macOS Sierra, 10.12.2 (16C32F). Since then DEVONthink Pro Office crashes every single time I click on a PDF. Whether it is in the inbox, whether in a normal data base. Whether it is an old PDF, whether it is recently synced from DEVONthink To Go.

The Webpage to PDF bookmarklet does work, Print to PDF not (crash again). When I check the data base, no mistake is found. The PDFs are there, just can not get displayed.

I did not found any other program having these problem, including Preview, PDF Expert, Scrivener, DEVONagent. And DEVONthink To Go on the iPad works fine with these PDFs too.

So my guess is that the workaround you introduced with the last version of DEVONthink Pro Office is causing this in combination with whatever Apple changed.

Can you look into this and can you maybe provide me a link to the previous, non-workaround version? I did update from within the program so the latest version I have as a dmg is 2.9. I did not have any PDF troubles with Sierra before.

EDIT: I just sent the crash report, which is too long for a forum post, to feedback@…

A little trick: go to the product downloads page at devontechnologies.com, copy the download URL for the product, change “2.9.6” in the URL to “2.9.3” and you should have what you want.

I was coming to post the same thing. I can replicate it 100% of the time. I click on a PDF (which is set to preview), and DevonThink Pro office instantly crashes.

Yes, I know this is why we shouldn’t use Betas.

Yep! macOS 10.12.2 is a ​beta ​release and should ​not ​be used in mission-critical or production environments, nor should it be expected to behave as expected. Betas are a moving target code-wise. We code for public releases as the code can change substantially in the beta process.

If you’re interested in a beta of the upcoming version 2.9.7, just send me an email and let me know which edition you’re using (as you’re obviously already beta testing macOS, I can hopefully assume that you have a solid backup strategy :slight_smile:)

Thanks for providing the beta. I can confirm 2.9.7beta1 solves the issue.

Hello, same issue as discussed above.
I am using macOS Sierra 10.12.2 Beta (16C32f) - Devonthink Pro. Would You send me a Beta?

I have the same problem. I have a database full of PDFs and DeveonThink Pro crashes every time I clicked this database.

I too have the issue with 10.12.2. Could I ask for the DtPO beta which fixes it?

Thank you.

David

For the sake of completeness I want to take back my guess that the PDF bug workaround in the latest official release of DEVONthink might be at least co-responsible for the crashes.

Other apps using Sierra’s PDF viewer like Scrivener and PDF Expert do crash too. Just not immediately. But inevitably nonetheless.

EDIT: Weirdly interesting: I wrote “assumption” instead of “guess” and it got replaced with “I disagree” by the forum software.

Hi,

Same issue here with MacOS beta; I’ll appreciate if you cna send me the link to download DTPO 2.9.7 (beta).
Thanks!

Please also send me the beta for DTPO. Thanks

Can you please send me a link to the beta as well? Thank you!

Hi, could you send me the beta as well? My research has been hobbled.

I’m already in the iOS beta group. Maybe you can add me to the MacOS group as well. Thanks
Alex

Same Problem here, just send you an eMail.
Please att me to Beta Group too.

Gruß,
Stefan

Please count me in on the beta request – I use DTPO mostly for PDFs and this particular bug means I can’t use the tool.

Yeah, I probably shouldn’t be running betas, but my development work requires it.

ddb, couldn’t you devote a separate partition for development work, or another computer?

WARNING:
Do not install the second public beta, at least my iMac is now absolutely unusable (neither Ethernet nor WLAN working any longer) and I’m currently restoring the system.