Macos Devonthink ignores systemwide email client setting

Have a problem I can’t seem to fix. I use outlook on macos instead of de native email client. This works fine for all apps, except for devonthink. Devonthink insists on using the native client. Which is very annoying.

The fact that I have to use an emailclient is annoying in the first place. But somewhere during the update cycle emails no longer show the attachments as clickable icons. But just a vague icon with a filename which does nothing. That is the real problem. It used to work fine :-(. What do I not know. Have been searching for possible settings but alas none found.

De facto I stopped using Devonthink. To much attention and focus needs to go to use Devonthink which is not quite what you expect form a productivity tool. This email thing is a big problem for me.

Note: i changed the setting in the macos mail program for standard email client and the setting in finder for eml files to use outlook.app. Both are ignored by devonthink.

What exactly are you having problems with? From your post it is not clear if you want to send email from DT or import emails into it or both or something else altogether.

Ok sorry I’m not clear. I have imported email into Devonthink from outlook. Most of it has attachments. When the mail is imported I have eml files in Devonthink (not always though sometimes Its just a lot of base64 for whatever reason). When I double click a file it open macos mail. No matter the settings. When I bought DT3 half a year, 9 months, ago, I did not need the email client. In Devonthink I could see the attachments and open them or use drag and drop to extract form email inside DT3. That no longer works.

There is no difference in when I use different methods to import. E.g. shift command E or drag and drop from outlook to DT3. The results are the same.

So basically you import emails from Outlook with their attachments. Or only the attachments? However, if I understood the description of eml on the net correctly, this is just a html archive version of the email itself. And, according to

Apple’s mail program should be able to display the eml part.

Just a word of caution: Microsoft is known to produce email formats that are not legible by anyone else but Microsoft programs. So it might be worth checking out if you can convert the eml or the other attachments to something more portable one PDF.

When I double click a file it open macos mail.

This behavior has nothing to do with DEVONthink. The system default application for files is governed by the operating system. You can drag an email to the desktop, press Command-I to open the Get Info pane, and change the Open With application for .eml files.

Regarding the view of the email, try View > Document Display > Text Alternative.
You can also set Preferences > Email > Messages > Use alternative view to set this as a default.

Thanks: Preferences > Email > Messages > Use alternative view
did the trick. But when did I that change on my machine?
(Maybe a save settings under a name and reload might come in handy. :wink: I remember that I was searching for a way to “keep” the view on a single group as opposed to one view for all groups. Did add a checkmark column to a certain group to keep track of documents I processed. But that column need not appear in other groups. That still eludes me. But I probably changed the checkmark i guess and messed up my mail view.)

To be clear: i have changed the system default application for eml to outlook for finder. And I also have set in prefrences macos mail default app to outlook. So you need to do it in two places.

No problem.

To be clear: i have changed the system default application for eml to outlook for finder. And I also have set in prefrences macos mail default app to outlook. So you need to do it in two places.

Those are two different options. One is for opening .eml files. The other is for the default email client for processing your email.