Mail import in DTPO is very untrustworthy

To quote another message I found during a forum search:

I just finally got around to upgrading my DEVONthink Pro to Pro Office last week, and I’m having this exact same issue with importing messages from Apple Mail. I’ll get the dock icon bounce, but no import has happened, and history and log show no activity. Sometimes quitting both Mail and DTPO will fix it for a few minutes, but soon thereafter the emails stop getting imported.

The only reason I spent the $70 for the upgrade was for email importing, as I don’t even own a scanner. Needless to say, if I can’t trust that imports are working from mail, it does me little good.

I permanently lost 2 emails I imported, and then deleted from Mail, that contained software license information – now I’m going to have to contact the authors and attempt to get my registration codes re-emailed to me. This was a big eye-opener for me, as I’ve always thought of DTP as a rock-solid data vault.

Please let me know if there’s a fix for this problem; if not, I may ask for a refund and just go back to doing a “print->Save PDF to DEVONthink” workflow for mail messages.

Here are my specifics:

OS X 10.5.2
Apple Mail 3.2 (only other plug-in is SpamSieve)
PowerBook G4

-thanks
Keith

anyone?

Did you set up a default database?

Yes

I’ve recently archived a couple of large Mail mailboxes to a database and the counts of the messages in Mail and in the DTPO mail archive checked out.

There’s one factor that can be deceptive. Once in a while I’ll select an individual message and add it to my database, perhaps to a project group. If I later archive the mailbox containing that message, the archive will not include that message. That’s because, by default, mail archiving will filter (skip) previously archived messages.

If I wish to be able to capture individual messages into other groups, yet retain complete archives of mailboxes, that can be done through a Preferences setting.

Preferences > Email - Messages: Check “Previously imported will become replicants”.

Could you please check if anything has been logged to the system console (see /Applications/Utilities/Console.app)? Thanks!

To add to this discussion: I was having this issue as well. From Mail.app, selecting an email and using the “Add to DEVONthink Pro Office” menu item caused the DEVONthink dock item to bounce deceivingly, but nothing was actually archived. This is disconcerting, because the dock bounce has always indicated success to me.

Resolution: My default database had been set to an old database that no longer exists, in a folder that no longer exists. After setting the current database to be the default database, importing worked, so this seems to have been the solution for me. (Prior attempts included restarting both programs, reinstalling the Mail plugin, and removing all other Mail plugins.)

Further experimentation: changing the default database to a different database (i.e. not the one that’s open) did not break Mail.app import. Then changing the default database to one in a nonexistent folder resulted in DEVONthink hanging; however, upon restart, I couldn’t replicate this. Now the default db is nonsensical, but the mail import still works.

I’ll post again if the problem recurs, but it’s solved for now.

So that I can understand more clearly, here’s a question.

Was DT Pro closed when you tried to initiate copy of a mail message to DT Pro?

If so, and if DT Pro was trying to load a default database that no longer existed or could not be found, I would expect a failure of the copy from Mail messages. There would be no open database to receive the new content.

To clarify: DT was always open (with a database loaded) every time I initiated the action.