Mail Plugin doesn't work on latest macOS developer beta 12.5 (21G5046c)

When I use Mail Plugin from Message > Add to DEVONthink, DEVONthink freezes…

Will be glad if you make plugin ready before official release.

See…

https://discourse.devontechnologies.com/t/mail-plugin-not-working-on-ventura-beta-1/71470/3

PS: While it’s your machine to do with as you please, we suggest you don’t run beta operating systems on devices you need to be working properly.

Appreciate help but link doesn’t work, and I am not on Ventura. I’m talking about latest Monterey beta.

Please choose Help > Report Bug while pressing the Alt modifier key and send the result to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com - thanks!

Gotcha - my mistake! /facepalm

I’ll update my Mac and see if I have the same issue.

1 Like

I just did. Thanks a lot!

Just a follow-up… I updated to beta 12.5 and the plugin loaded normally with the exception of this dialog appearing each time I launch Mail…

And does it work as expected too?

Just testing it and DEVONthink is stalling after using Message > Add to DEVONthink 3.

Here’s the process sample:
monterey12.5_importEmail.txt.zip (37.8 KB)

PS: In case it matters, SIP is enabled.

This behavior persists after a machine reboot too.

I can reinstall the plugin if you’d like.

The connection between Mail and DEVONthink seems to be frozen, looks like a new bug of 12.5. Does it work via the sidebar? And is full disk access enabled?

Full Disk Access is still enabled.

Neither Apple Mail nor Outlook are responding in the Import sidebar…

Okay… after a few minutes, they loaded. Weird…

• Imports and Archive Mailbox from Mail worked as expected from the Import sidebar.
  • Imports and Archive Mailbox from Outlook worked as expected from the Import sidebar.

Ok, I’d recommend you open a support ticket then… oh, dang.

2 Likes

Already kinda did :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Seems that the attempt to use the plug-in timed out and the slower AppleEvent-based communication was used afterwards.

There is a reason it is called Beta. It is supposed to have bugs. Often developers do not fix bugs in Beta releases but defer them and fix them all in the last Beta which is often rebranded as Final. When using Beta software it is assumed you are using it at your own risk. Personally I rarely if ever use Beta software unless I get some form of compensation for doing it like free upgrades to the final or some kind of discount for the developer’s software products. The other time I use beta software is if the developer hires me as a contractor to test it. I used to get paid for doing that kind of stuff and personally I am fed up with paying for a product for the opportunity to test it and report bugs so they don’t have to hire someone to do the proper SQA before release and make more profit by letting the users pay for it and then test it for them.

3 Likes

Thanks for teaching what beta means to a software company owner.

I see no harm letting DEVONthink developers know about the problem before the last beta and I never asked them to fix it for the current beta. I just wanted to give heads up to prevent having buggy version after the official release, which in fact what beta is for.

4 Likes

While not freezing this also happened with the latest version of Big Sur after a erase and reinstall of my drive and resetting the PRAM (Option-Command P R). All my mail bundles were deactivated and after activating them they were again deactivated when relaunching Mail. The solution was to boot into recovery and turn off System Integrity in Terminal (csrutil disable). After rebooting and reactivating they all worked fine and stay activated. It is not the first time Apple has done stuff without advance warning to developers, except possibly somewhere in fine print, to further close their systems and it is likely it will not be the last. Apple seems to have a fondness for quietly removing or changing features and letting users and developers experience the negative consequences.

1 Like