.manifest missing of database error on one device only

@BLUEFROG et. al. I’m starting to get very confused. Exactly what triggers this message? Is it really serious? Does it stop sync? Or how does it interfere with sync? Just because the message is posted, what is someone supposed to do about it (besides post here?). And if missing, can’t DEVONthink re-create it?

(I sometimes see it and then it disappears and I give it no cause for concern and move on with life, but …).

That’ not possible. But the sync actually verifies each uploaded manifest (independent of the settings or type of the sync location) immediately by downloading it again, therefore it’s unclear unfortunately currently what’s causing this and whether this is a CloudKit issue as we couldn’t reproduce this so far.

Thanks for the clarity. Another question. Is a file that Apple Cloudkit creates and uses. or DEVONthink?

The manifest? That’s created by the sync (actually all sync locations), the only difference in case of CloudKit is that it’s not a real file but a record.

I have this occuring every so often since changing to cloudkit. While all seems fine, these message leave a bad feeling :slight_smile: Would be nice to know whether others see the same, hopefully identifying a pattern. I followed Jim’s instructions and started all over with the installation of the apps and sync stores. This seemed to work, for a few weeks. In addition to this I still get the “Request failed with http status code 502” and even though this is harmless, the messages bug me.

Ack. This bug (?) has bitten me now. I’ve deleted the iOS app, along with its data, but when I attempt to sync again, I get the manifest error and I have empty groups. Everything is fine on my Mac.

Is a verification of the sync store successful?

Deleting the application - DEVONthink or DEVONthink To Go - has no effect on sync data.
Sync data is separate from the application.

See this…

Same thing happens to me, but haven’t been able to consistently reproduce.

Sadly, nor have we.

I am having this issue now as well. I was on Mac, iPhone and iPad. I took the iOS devices out of the equation by deleting the respective apps. When only working on Mac (with CloudKit sync enabled) for a few weeks everything was stable. As soon as I take one of the iOS devices back into syncing, the .manifest issues pops up again. Very annoying and confusing as I am unsure what more to do than delete the online databases and re-uploading. If I cannot use iOS devices reliably the app renders pretty useless. What can I do?

Welcome @backsphere

As I already said previously…

This is one of those cases where what gets logged isn’t terribly useful to the user in trying to understand what has happened. I tracked down the documentation, as @BLUEFROG suggests above, and followed the suggestion to clean the sync file. Eventually I got things to sync and we’re in good shape.

Here’s what was causing the issue: where I work has a very restricted (and fussy) public wifi setup, and what I’ve learned is not to let DT on my phone auto-sync. (Occasionally I forget to turn the wifi radio off when I walk into the office.) I just manually sync now when I am at home and everything is fine. I don’t find this inconvenient at all, since I largely use DT on my phone to read stuff I have captured elsewhere, and I usually have a long list of materials to go through.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing that!

FWIW this (the errors + missing files in groups) started happening to me too. It may or may not be coincidence, but it was after I started editing metadata in PDF files with an external tool (exiftool) using an AppleScript.

I’m going to fall back to legacy iCloud sync and see how that goes.

1 Like

Let us know what you find.

Hello: I have had the same issue for more than a month now. My database name “Bibliothèque” doesn’t sync. What can I do? iOS15.0, iPhone 8 Plus.

Have you completed the trouble shooting guidelines that are in the DEVONthink Handbook (and also in Help)? Results from that? Log messages? Are also a lot of previous postings on the manifest question here. Which of those suggestions have you tried?

I read the Help section. I tried everything (or I hope…). I still have the same issue and I really don’t know what to do. Thanks!

Reading the “Sync Issues” in "Troubleshooting a good first step for you. Perhaps looking at these results suggested in that document may point you in the right direction?:

• when you rebooted the iphone, any change?
  • what happened after you did the a “verify”?
  • what happened after you did a “clean”?
  • anything in the log?
  • have you tried an alternative cloud service provider besides Apple’s?
  • or maybe bypass all third party cloud services and use Bonjour?