Manual ordering in list view

I’ve recently had to use OneNote for some work projects, and one of the feature I discovered was that OneNote allows the user to manually order sections and pages in their list view. I’m wondering if there’s a way to replicate that behavior in DevonThink (more elegantly than prefixing all the file names).

Just choose View > Sort > Unsorted, then you can reorder the items via drag & drop.

Is there any way to change the scope of the sorting preferences, so that some groups can be unsorted and others can be sorted by one of the other options?

Each group selected in the sidebar can use its own setting.

Only one sort method is applicable per view, i.e. you can only use one method for the item list.

If you open the group on it’s own, or select a group in the Navigate sidebar (as Criss mentioned), you can apply a sort of its own.

First, thanks for the quick replies! I’m not quite getting this to work as expected, and I realized I may have used the wrong terminology.

I’m in DTPO2 and using the Three Pane view as my default. My screen shows a list of databases in the leftmost column, the inbox/tags/groups of the current database as the second column, and then a split view with the contents of the selected group on top and the selected document visible below.

If I open a group as a new window, I can change the view setting for just that group. However, I tried selecting a group in that second column of my original window and changing the sort option, and it applied to everything in that window (as far as I can tell). Is the Navigate sidebar something different than the second column, or do I need to be in a different view?

and it applied to everything in that window (as far as I can tell).

This is the correct behavior - and would be the same in DEVONthink 3.

Here is a group and an open subgroup sorted by Name

Here is the same group and its subgroup sorted by Tags

Notice the subgroup is also sorted by Tags as it is displaying in the same view, i.e., one sort method per view.

Here is the subgroup in its own window or view (via double-clicking it)

Notice it is sorted by Kind.
Also notice the Path Barabove the item list is showing what location I’m in.

Is the Navigate sidebar something different than the second column, or do I need to be in a different view?

This is the sidebar in DEVONthink 3.