Manually reinstall Apple Mail Plugin - HowTo?

Hi,
I’m running both DTPO v2 and v3.
I’ve always had the Apple Mail Plugin installed, but one way or the other I’ve lost the Apple Mail menu item to save to DTPO.
(Lately trialing Spark mail too)

Installing the Mail Plugin is greyed out in Install Add-Ons.
Is there a way to manually reinstall this?

Are there any points of attention that I might have missed in this regard while running both V2 and V3?

As always: Thanks for helping out!

In System Preferences, Security and Privacy, check that Devonthink has Full Disk Access. Also note that you can have either the v2 or v3 plugin, but not both at the same time. So if you installed it for v3, the V2 plugin will be unavailable.

Hope that makes sense

Hi, thanks for your post.
Indeed DTPO did not figure in the Full Disk Access list, so I added it manually.
First tried it with DTPO v2, as this did not work, also tried it with v3, but this does not work either?

In the end, there is no save mail message to DTPO in the Mail.app menu…

Any other idea’s?

1. Quit Mail.
  2. Quit DEVONthink 3.
  3. Enable Full disk access in System Preferences > Security & Privacy for DEVONthink 3
  4. In the Finder, hold the Option key and choose Go > Library .
  5. Go into the Mail/Bundles folder and delete the DEVONthink.mailbundle .
  6. Relaunch DEVONthink 3 and install the Mail plugin from the DEVONthink 3 > Install Add-Ons .
  7. Relaunch Mail and enable the plugin via Apple Mail’s Preferences > General > Manage Plug-ins .

Note: You shouldn’t be running 2 and 3 simultaneously.

1 Like

Thanks! That did it!
I think during previous attempts I did not follow step 7, which is essential off course.

On condition:

• that I don’t simultaneously open the same DB with v2 and v3
  • but only use these via a common syncstore

What would be the issues with running v2 and v3 simultaneously?

The operating system gets confused about what app to talk to, especially regarding email import, browser extensions, scripting, etc.

Also, DEVONthink 3 is in beta testing, It should not be used in mission-critical or production environments.
When beta testing, it’s always wise to use copies of data or test data. I personally also advocate running DEVONthink 3 on a separate macOS User account to keep things isolated. Your data, your choice - but I always err on the side of caution with peoples’ data.

Step BLUEFROG’s seven (7) is critical… even today when using Monterey and DEVONthink 3.8

Welcome @dsfuchs

Indeed it is. :slight_smile:

Hi, I’m attempting the same process (reinstall mail plugin). I’m having trouble with step 5. I don’t see the expected bundles folder. And when I search for DEVONthink.mailbundle, I don’t find that.

Suggestions?
Thanks

Welcome @bookshelver

Are you in the user library’s Mail folder per my instructions?

Thank you for your help @BLUEFROG
I believe so. Here is the file path where I’m looking.

/Users/jamesmauk/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail

If there’s no Bundles folder and no DEVONthink.mailplugin, then step 5 can be skipped of course. But which version of macOS do you use? On Sonoma Mail plugins aren’t supported anymore.

Understood. Currently I’m on Ventura, but will likely upgrade to Sonoma soon. I will sort this out once that’s done. Thank you again for your help.
Jim

/Users/jamesmauk/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail

That is the incorrect path. The correct one is /Users/(username)/Library/Mail/Bundles.

but will likely upgrade to Sonoma soon

Why?

1 Like

Ah, I didn’t realize I was buried in an incorrect folder w/in /Library. Thanks for pointing that out! Re Sonoma, Curiosity, as I don’t have a pressing need to upgrade.

I would suggest you wait on it.

1 Like

Hi, today I’m facing reinstall issues again.
What has changed, and where I believe lies the problem: as I’m working on a 2018 mini with very little harddrive space, I have hooked up a Promise Pegasus Thunderbolt 6 drive housing to accomodate.
So far so good.

More recently to get rid of critical diskspace warnings and such, I adjusted my user settings to relocate all my user files to the /Volumes/Promise raid etc path…
What I did not realize upfront is that I now needed to enter all licenses and passwords again…
In fact in hindsight this boils down to creating a new user… but I was not aware of this when starting out…

Anyway, now, nearly all hurdles are taken but I missed the DEVONthink Mail Bundle plugin.
However I can not install the plugin…
I get an error message “Can’t copy plugin resources” "Please check your write permissions and the amount of free space in hour home “Library/Mail/Bundles” folder

But fact is that I’ve got plenty of space there, and no issues with write permissions either.
So I’m under the impression this is related to the fact that the Promise Pegasus is mounted to /Volumes/Promise Pegasus/etc which is regarded as an “external” mountable drive…
See screenshot attached.

Any suggestions on how to overcome this issue?

Since Sonoma, Mail plugins are no longer supported by Mail. There are summer threads on that here in the forum.

Hi Chrillek,

Thanks for replying.
This is still a macOS Catalina install, so no Sonoma issue.

Putting your home directory on a non-boot drive can cause issues, including with Apple Mail. Why didn’t you just migrate necessary data instead of your entire account?

How did you determine the permissions are correct?