Markdown delight

This is from page 41 of the excellent manual (also available through the in app help). Does it assist?

Stephen

1 Like

A think I would like to have in md editing is the possibility to edit as any other normal word processor: in a normal editor you are typing a phrase, want a bold word, type cmd-b, continue typing, type cmd-b and the text between both cmd-b are in bold. Another way is type as normal, then select the part of your text you want in bold, and type cmb-b and that part go bold.

However, in DT editor, only last way is available. If you want type in bold without loosing the typing flow, you must remember that ** is bold, then you type ** expression ** and it becomes bold. However, bold, italics, underline are standard cmd-b, cmd-i, cmd-u in any editor (as it is in DT), and that’s the way most normal editors works does not matter if they are md, doc (*), pages or whatever.

( * ) Well, to be honest, Microsoft Illuminati Luminaries decided that in Spanish, bold is cmd-n (from “Negrilla”), italics is cmd-c (from “Cursiva”), and underline is cmd-s (from “Subrayado”), breaking all office shortcuts and forcing 99% of Spanish talking people to have English Office versions. (They even translated Excel formulas into Spanish!!!)

Off-topic:
Also for other languages, like german. Which does not really matter, because the underlying engine Does The Right Thing.
Worse: They invented translations for the "Re: " prepended to the subject in the answer of an e-mail. Which breaks virtually every e-mail client (except Outlook of course) and violates the mail RFCs.

Came here to say that the new markdown support rocks !!

It makes a huge difference to be able to view the simple formatting hints this way without needing the parallel view all the time.

Rich text is good too, but markdown is where a lot of my writing happens, so it’s really great to see it be “first-class” in DeveonThink now.

2 Likes

I have started using good old Gill Sans 14 for editing long prose in Markdown and it surprised me how beautiful it seemed, much better than a monospaced font.

Still getting caught up…

I just checked in my external MD editor-of-choice, MacDown, and it colors the > red and leaves the rest of the quoted text the same color as the base text. When I first saw the red for block quotes it was surprising, but it’s also not the rendered document, so I imagine that I’ll get used to it.