Markdown in DevonThink: is there a shortcut to move items up and down a list?

DEVONthink can do that…

:wink:

2 Likes

yes, you are right, sorry and thanks for your post

I should have clarified… Panda supports images, but when you paste an image into a markdown file, Panda auto-converts it into a TextBundle with a .panda extension… thus causing DT to lose track of the file and effectively making it an orphaned file. That behavior of Panda is kind of terrible (and I don’t see anyway to disable it.)

I have a workflow where if I know I’ll be using images, I’ll just create a new .textbundle in DT to start with, and open that in Panda. From there, everything works great. Even though DT can’t edit .textbundle files (yet? :wink: ), they at least surface in a search.

I typically just use markdown in DT unless I need some advanced editor functionality.

2 Likes

I apologize for a curt comment. You touched a sensitive nerve.
I write all my drafts in Bear (soon Bear 2) because it’s so easy to order lists, create headers with associated links and tables of contents, paste images, move anything around etc. My big frustration is that after completing the drafts, I have to copy paste them into DevonThink as an RTF, and any subsequent editing is done as an RTF. The same applies to Scrivener.

To keep it simpler and perhaps less frustrating why not finish in Bear (or Scrivener) and only put finished version into DEVONthink?

1 Like

a good point. It’s simply because these projects never end. Everything ends up being frequently updated. It’s a constant source of frustration. The other side of the coin is that neither Bear nor Scrivener are stand-alone apps which one can use as external apps in DevonThink. Just to say that it’s not DevonThink’s “fault”. I give DevonThink the credit of allowing users to open / edit / annotate in external apps.

2 Likes

Being the contrary person I am, still keep everything in your preferred writing package . Put the interim “final versions” in DEVONthink. Save archive zips of source into DEVONrhink if you want but I think that would be over the top in the normal world.

1 Like

in fact, I think that you are right. It takes a lot of personal discipline… which I lack.

What I am suggesting is actually simpler. IMHO.

Everything does NOT have to be in or indexed into DEVONthink. I realise that is not what some assume or expect but it is a waste of effort to do it and to expect DEVONthink to integrate with everything.

now I understand. Very original approach. I will give it some thought. thank you very much

1 Like

So basically you are saying that DevonThink is for “references” in a wide sense of the term (with some editing of RTF, Markdown, PDFs, etc with time), and manuscripts should be edited elsewhere in dedicated apps?.

Nope. Not saying that.

I read what you are doing and what frustrates you. You like Bear but want DEVONthink to be like Bear.

Not going to happen.

You like Bear. Use Bear. Use DEVONthink. Use them to compliment each other and keep it simple.

2 Likes

I think that you have a very good point, and I will follow your advice. Vielen Dank und freundliche Grüsse,

Here’s one more vote for the keyboard shortcuts to move items up and down a list.

I use markdown notes constantly in my research folders and they’re always outlines for me, with bulleted or numbered lists that have various indented/nested levels of sublists. So a quick way to move items around would be great. Thanks.

1 Like

I wonder what’s the most common shortcut for this. Other apps use e.g. Control-Shift-Up/Down or Option-Shift-Up/Down and DEVONthink To Go uses Cmd-Alt-[/] which is not that user-friendly on international keyboards.

first choice opt cmd ↑↓
second choice Option-Shift-Up/Down

I agree

I’m very used to OmniFocus and OmniOutliner, which use Control-Command-Up/Down. So does NotePlan or nvUltra. Microsoft Word uses Shift-Control-Up/Down. For WorkFlowy, it’s Shift-Command-Up/Down.

So I use Stream Deck for all these various outlining systems. I have a page for each app and Up and Down buttons mapped to the proper keyboard shortcut or menu command (I prefer apps that have this function in the menus).

Being able to use this in markdown files directly in DEVONthink would be great. So far, the only markdown app that I know that has this feature is nvUltra.

Wow. Panda looks really promising, even at this early stage. Just that it uses two space indents for sub lists and DevonThink uses 4. In neither app Markdown Flavors can be configured, or am I missing something?

No you can’t choose another flavor of Markdown in DEVONthink. We specifically support MultiMarkdown (currently v6).

PS: Tabs are supported for indenting lists and are the advocated method as it’s very efficient to tap Tab or Shift-Tab to indent and outdent in a list.

1 Like

I still can’t get into panda test flight. Any chance you might be willing to post some videos of it in action?