Migrating DT3 Indexed Database to Imported Database

There are several posts regarding Imported to Indexed data and most come from DTPO days. I have an indexed DT3 database (indexed2020.dtBase2) with SpiderOak folders/files and some local indexed folders/files which I would like to migrate to imported2022.dtBase2 in response to BLUEFROG’s persistent useful advice and my workflow as a slightly more experienced user. The final results would leave indexed2020.dtBase2 with only a few remote files and none local. imported2022.dtBase2 would host most of my user-created files and no indexed files. I plan on getting from here to there without data loss by these steps:

• Backup all dtBase2 before starting
  • Individually import each indexed folder from Finder into Imported2022.dtBase2
  • Backup again
  • After verifying successful import to Imported2022, delete each imported folder from Finder (which I expect to delete the same from Indexed2020)

Should these steps accomplish the desired migration, and, if not, what else should be included/excluded?

• Backup all dtBase2 before starting

Always a good idea, in general.

• Individually import each indexed folder from Finder into Imported2022.dtBase2
  • Backup again
  • After verifying successful import to Imported2022, delete each imported folder from Finder (which I expect to delete the same from Indexed2020)

You could use File > Import > Files and Folders with the Move Originals To Trash option enabled.

This would alleviate the need to manually delete the items in the Finder.
However, if you’d like the option to manually delete them, you can ignore this option.

1. Will the process described remove the indexing in the Imported2022.dtBase2?
  2. What is the method to un-index files in Indexed2020.dtBase2? (I have Alfred, Anki, Bookends, and Hook folders with preference settings in /Imported2022.dtBase2/User/Documents/ that need to remain in ~/Documents/ and shouldn’t be imported into DT3 nor indexed?
  1. There is no need to concern yourself with this as you’re importing into the new database.
  2. You can’t un-index items in a database.
    If the items are indexed groups, delete the indexed parent group and empty the database’s Trash. You will be prompted what to delete. Choose Only in database.
    If you have individually indexed files, similary trash them as noted above.